ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ComputerWizKid), 331 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#63775 03/26/06 03:58 AM
R
Shocking translation allright, It's hard for us in the trade to understand what they actually want to say there.

Imagine someone with no electrical knowledge to understand what it means.
These cars are obviously made in China and the translater should look for an other job.

Perhaps selling and assembling these cars door to door. [Linked Image]

The product of rotation, excitation and flux produces electricty.
#63776 03/26/06 08:47 AM
P
pauluk Offline OP
Those instructions should be submitted here:
http://www.engrish.com

I've submitted them!

There are some good ones on there. From Hotel Information :

about the laundering
The wash becomes a finish the evening tomorrow at the front desk until 7 o'clock at night of the day. (It becomes the evening tomorrow in the morning even if it has.)

Well, I'm glad we got that sorted out! [Linked Image]

On a more serious note, the massive list of product recalls these days is a little worrying. I can't help feeling that too many many people these days are only interested in price rather than quality.

#63777 03/27/06 07:34 PM
Sometimes domestic labelling and instructions aren't so great either.

Thanks to NORCAL for this one.

[Linked Image]

So...
Closing a valve is just the opposite of closing a breaker, and opening a valve is just the opposite of opening a breaker.

#63778 03/28/06 12:33 AM
E
I agree with Solarpowered, it does sound like someone decided to run those instructions through a free on-line translation program, I don't think someone with a knowledge of English so rudimentary would know words like "elucidation"
I'd like to add that someone not knowing English, or not being able to speak english well is not something to laugh about, I know what a struggle it is to try and learn a foreign language, BUT when that limited knowledge starts becoming a saftey hazard by creating instructions for a piece of equiptment that could injure a young child then it becomes unacceptable, it's not that expensive to hire a professional translator, and couldn't the car's distributor's in England at least read the instructions themselves? A minute checking such a document could save them quite a bit of money if a child gets hurt and sues.

Just MHO- Will

#63779 03/28/06 01:20 AM
J
Back in my post-production days, all the tape transports and studio cameras I maintained were Sonys. We used to kid about how the service manuals were written in Japlish. They were fantastic compared to this though.
Joe

#63780 03/28/06 04:35 AM
P
JoeTestingEngr's comment translated to chinese and then back to english:

In mine post production day, all magnetic tapes transportation and the studio photographic camera which I maintains is Sonys. How maintenance handbook do we pass often cheat are written about in Japlish. They are unexpected and this comparison though

http://babelfish.altavista.com/

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard