ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
I hate to ask a Joe Homeowner question on here, but here goes... I recently gutted my kitchen and replaced everything. I did the electrical all on GFCI (except fridge, lighting, and microwave, of course.) Well, after i put the last bit of paint on, I realized the recep. for my gas stove is on the GFCI. The stove I have now is the old-fashioned type with pilot lights, but I was wondering if there would be an nuisance tripping issue with using the electronic ignition type on a GFCI? I have never heard of it, but I was wondering if anyone else has.

Thanks,
Josh

T
I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "all on GFCI" Josh, but I'll assume either a GFCI breaker, or a GFCI outlet with the others downstream.

First try the range and see if it trips the GFCI. If it does just replace the std. duplexes with GFCIs & rewire GFCI with the downstream connection, or replace the GFCI breaker with a std. breaker.

If this is confusing, you're changing the GFCI protection to each outlet that requires it.

Dave

E
e57 Offline
There were a few problems years ago as an equipment conflict. But since then, Stove igniters, and GFIs have both gotten better at getting along... So no, I don't think its a problem.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
P
Sorry for some lack of info. I did the 2 20A circuits with a GFCI outlet with downstream protection. After I drew up a floorplan and figured out what outlets I want on which circuit.Except for the stove outlet, each outlet alternates between circuits. While I was finishing the rough-in, I looked at where the stove was gonna be, and thought to myself, "I could probably use an outlet there, in case I ever get a stove with an electronic igniter." Like I said before, I have a pilot light stove right now. I've just seen many trip because of inductive loads, and figured an igniter is an inductive load.

I doubt that it will be a problem, although I did have GFCIs that trip for "no reason," such as the small appliance circuit with a ceiling fan, trips when you shut the fan off and turn it on when the blades are still moving, the gfci that trips every time I try to use the hair dryer in the shower (Just KIDDING on that one!).

PE:

Don't even worry about it. I have a gas range with electronic ignition connected to a GFCI and it has never tripped.

Oh, and most modern (say 1990 and up) ignitors are totally electronic and are "capacitive discharge" type, not inductive.

Edited to add:

The fan causes the trip because of the high back EMF spike from trying to restart the motor while turning, as the current is not "in step" with the magnetizing forces in the motor. (An oversimplified explanation as I understand it form a handbook on motor load behavior.)

BTW, good idea on alternating circuits between outlets,that makes a lot of sense on how most kitchen appliance seem to be placed and used.!

[This message has been edited by mxslick (edited 03-25-2006).]

Stupid should be painful.

Link Copied to Clipboard