ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Cat Servant
I used to think 50 was "old." For some reason, I no longer do (I was born in 1956).

Guy's 40 and just entering the trade? I can't speak for others, but I did lots of things between high school and 40- it's not like I sat around just whistling Dixie! And- sometimes the strangest things turn out to be useful.

C
There are many good thoughts coming out here. My own experience has been one of happy rewards after returning to EC work at (nearly) age 60. I became a journeyman in 1968 and worked for a couple of years for a very nice Company, but the powerful lure of aviation took me away from it up until about 6 months ago when I went "part time and a half" into my own business for something to keep me occupied. I don't regret it one bit and although I sometimes feel like an apprentice at times because of all the changes I have to absorb, I've found that I can still keep up with the young guys on most sites. Things have certainly changed in that time and it seems a lot easier now than it was in 1968. There is so much new stuff out there to make our jobs simple and quicker.

Sometimes the younger guys (and gals for that matter - who'd a thunk it in 1968) think I'm too grumpy about "workmanship" stuff but I do get compliments on the quality of the stuff I do. That came from my background as a farm kid and apprenticing under an "old" grumpy master electrician myself. He would yell at me if the staple ears punched more than a millimeter into the stud when stapling NM, for example. I thought he was really, really old at the time - he was 51 in 1968.

So I hope I haven't offended anyone about aging - I think age is like a fine wine, it gets better with time and experience.

BTW, I'm considering taking on an apprentice myself now but I am worried that this young, enthusiastic 19 year old will think I'm the grumpy and fussy one now, so it's kind of held me back from committing to him. He even admits I'm grumpy and fussy but says that is exactly what he's looking for. (Unfortunately, he is usually smiling when he says that).

What to do, what to do?

Cheers,
Dave

Personally I would have no compunction whatsoever about hiring a guy of 40.
The guy would have a bit of "life experience" behind him at that stage, something that a lot of younger people sadly lack when starting out.

40?

Bloody infantile whippersnappers!

Stand aside saplings- This looks like a job for Superannuationman!

sings, in a deep, male, voice-

O, my Teeth are like the Stars,
They come out at Night!

(COUGH)

Nurse!! Is it time for my cocoa yet?

Alan

Wood work but can't!
P
(Happy Birthday Paul!)

Happy belated birthday Paul.

Thanks guys! [Linked Image]

B
Alan Belson,
I must say that I do appreciate your posts, they usually give me at minimum a good chuckle if not a good belly laugh. [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard