ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 298 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#63623 03/23/06 04:42 PM
D
Anyone have any information to share on these?

What are good ones, what bells and whistles you don't need, who has the most(not cheapest) affordable ones...ect?

And has anyone regulary used these?

Dnk...

W
WFO Offline
Haven't done it in years, and know nothing about this company other than they seem to be developing more affordable models.
www.flirthermography.com

A
Cracking safes with thremal imaging:
http://lcamtuf.coredump.cx/tsafe/

Said to work on door keypads and ATM buttons too.

I
I have a thermal imaging camera from a company called Irisys. The unit plugs into my PDA so you don't have to spend a fortune on a unit which has a screen and built in software etc.

Don't know if they ship them outside the UK but the website is www.irisys.co.uk

Cheers

Ian

R
I used a NFTI (Naval Firefighter Thermal Imager) in my Navy days. I will have to see if I can find out who makes it. It was awesome.

R
It looks like the US Navy is switching from the older English Electric Valve Model P4428 to the ISG, Inc. Talisman Model K-90-SS 2000-NFTI Model 2.

EEV is now e2V Technologies at http://e2vtechnologies.com

ISG is at http://www.isgthermalsystems.co.uk

[This message has been edited by rad74ss (edited 03-24-2006).]

[This message has been edited by rad74ss (edited 03-24-2006).]

C
Dnk, what info would you like? I use a Flir P45 IR Camera regularly. I am a Level II Certified Infrared Thermographer & Master Electrician.
Flir makes very good IR Cameras. What you are going to use an IR Camera for should determine model & price. Do you have a general idea of what you want to use an IR Camera for?
I'll do my best to answer any questions you have.
Al

D
Capt al, just being curious....

I don't know much about them.

I am curious on how and why they would be needed. I did a google and some range from 2K-15K..15K is a big investment for something I may only use 3 or 4 times. I thought of renting one for a week or two.

My general need would be small right now, maybe doing some plant preventive maintenance with transformers and panels and stuff. Nothing too involved. Maybe scan my house to look for leaks...more or less just playing around.

I don't think I need a 15K one, but something not grey scale, but in color would be nice..

Dnk...

[This message has been edited by Dnkldorf (edited 03-26-2006).]

C
Dnk, renting one would meet your needs (3 or 4 times) the most financial way. The EC I work for spent 40K - 50K for the camera I use. We do not use it daily yet, but are close to that goal.

We do predictive preventative maintenance with IR. I am still amazed at some of the problems we have found before a plant has an unplanned outage. We will look at all the electrical equipment in a plant or office facility. A report of our findings is giving to the customer including IR & Digital images of problem areas. At that point the customer can have his in house staff make repairs or hire the EC I work for make them.

Flir makes a nice camera using color around 15K, Fluke makes one around 9.5K color also. Check out a number of cameras before you purchase one. Also ask the salesman if you can try it for a set time period before making a purchase.

Al

I
Al sent me some pictures for this thread.

[Linked Image]
Picture One

A breaker removed from the panel, it does not look to bad. If it was still in the panel with conductors in the terminals we would not even notice one lug is a little dark.

[Linked Image]
Picture Two.

A Flir Image of the breaker when it was operating.

[Linked Image]
Picture Three

A little closer look at the terminals.

[Linked Image]
Picture Four

Still not looking to bad.

[Linked Image]
Picture Five

Now we are getting somewhere, this is not good.

I got to see in person the busbars Al removed from this area of the breaker, they where quite warped due to the extreme heat they had been subject to.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard