ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 376 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
E
e57 Offline
Well, I guess they still do make 'em....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Administrator
posted for skingusmc:

When I started looking around this house I found none of the previous homeowner's splices used anything but the twist and tape method. He wrapped stranded wire around the solid and folded them over, pinching the stranded. It looked very ugly but I have to admit I didn't find one that had any signs of heating, even in the 1440w bathroom heaters.
gfretwell,

Did it look something like this...

[Linked Image]

- Steve (skingusmc)

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 03-23-2006).]

T
In Austria I've seen another type of splice. Take a rather thin screw (think a cover plate screw) and a weird nut with three wings sticking up if you lay it flat on a table. The wires are bent around the screw and the nut is tightened, the wings keeping the wire from silding out. Then everything is taped. I stumbled over those at a friend's place (supposedly 1961, but very conservative wiring in most regards) and first thought of replacing them. in the end I just unwrapped each and every one, tightened the screws and retaped. Probably lasts longer than anything else. Don't care for making up such a connection though...

T
I'm still wondering why theres a keyless in the foyer. Unless its a brushed nickel keyless... then say no more.

Shake n Bake
G
Steve, yup that's the one. Where did you find that? I am curious who used that method of splicing.

Greg Fretwell
S
gfretwell -

"Steve, yup that's the one. Where did you find that? I am curious who used that method of splicing."

I'll send you a copy of what I have via e-mail.

I found it while looking for a "Western Union" splice.

Steve

Thanks
Steve
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard