ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 255 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#63424 03/14/06 10:20 PM
S
When setting up a buck and boost transformer, should the voltage setting be lower, or higher than the desired amount? I have to make sure a pump has exactly 220vac supplied to it and last time I checked the service at this place the voltage 120/240 (but the actual voltage hot-to-hot was 249vac. Should I go with a 10% setting or 15% setting on the buck and boost? And which one's work the best?

F
to slect the buck and boost transformer it get little tricky here.

you have to know the amp or hp of the load it willbe running and you can buck it down a bit but here is the catch the buck it will have a 16 or 24 or 32 volts drop [ some have more slection ]

for 240 volt appaction genrally only need one B/B transformer will be needed but one quick head up double check with the NEC code related with B/B set up http://www.bulletproof.com/jdesignerpro/transformercalculator.html

this is from Sqd website related with the BB set up caluation to get the correct size

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

D
With B-B transformers you're never going to be right on the voltage. Personally I would opt for the closest higher voltage that you can zero in on. A NEMA rated motor should operate satisfactory at +-10% of its NP voltage. The motor should run a bit cooler at the higher voltage anyway.
The only uncertainty is how stable the supply voltage is which you probably don't have any control over. If it goes higher than you anticipated when selecting the B-B Xfmr naturally the output will be higher than you anticipated.
So you have to give it your best calculated shot.

L
LK Offline
"With B-B transformers you're never going to be right on the voltage."
We get calls from office supply companies, all the time, they shop around calling every contractor in the book, looking for 208V for copy machines, what usually happens is the BB set up is uaually cheaper, and they always catch an EC that bids low, thinking he can use BB for this application, problem is, when they call, and say their $12,000 copy machine burned-up, they come to you, might be best to use a better transformer set-up and be sure.

S
Does it really need 220? It seems that a lot of motors are rated at 220, but are actually intended to run off of 240.

There's a lot of discussion of that in this thread: https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006864.html

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 03-15-2006).]

S
Thank you all very much for the feedback. I'm always appreciative of it so thanks. I'm just like the next guy, who doesn't know everything, but at least I know more than him after my time spent at ECN.

My next question.

One of the legs on the 220volt receptacle that's there now originates on the red leg (245vac to ground, 245vac phase to phase). Will this matter after the installation of the B-B xfmr?

Link Copied to Clipboard