ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
#63315 03/13/06 07:59 PM
C
I'm just in the middle of a service upgrade from an old 60 amp panel to a new 200 amp Siemens. The Home Owner initially wanted a Federal Pioneer (as it's known here in Canada) panel installed because his friends and someone at the big orange box store told him that getting breakers and parts for FPE is far easier and cheaper than anything else, and FPE would be very common for the distant future.

It took quite a bit of convincing with this fellow and about 30 phone calls back and forth to convince him that there were much better products (and safer in my mind) out there. I finally convinced him that at least he could use a Siemens panel because they are commomly available around here too.

Since I'm just getting back into the EC business and dusting off my old Journeyman's Certificate after a 30 year absence, it got me thinking that maybe I should get other opinions on what preferences any of you other younger folks would prefer to see installed in the way of panels.

I know I'm an old dinosaur but I am certainly open to new ideas.

Thanks,
Dave

#63316 03/13/06 08:46 PM
B
I personally like Siemens panels the best. My boss only uses Cutler-Hammer and I'm sure there'll be 20 guys on here that say Square-d QO, but I don't think anyone will say GE.

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
#63317 03/13/06 09:25 PM
P
pdh Offline
I've found catalogs online for Square-D, Cutler-Hammer, and GE (not very impressive). I search around the Siemens web site, but I could not find their catalog at all, nor any web pages that would be equivalent to a catalog.

In my line of work, which includes designing data centers, I have specified the needed wiring, including the panels. I've gone with Square-D in the past, but today I would include consideration of Cutler-Hammer (and probably specify a choice in each). I wouldn't touch GE. I have no knowledge of the Siemens product line.

#63318 03/13/06 09:25 PM
T
Same here. I like Square D QO and I hear a lot about Siemens & C-H, not GE.

Dave

#63319 03/13/06 09:43 PM
L
LK Offline
Ok , we used SQ D, and gave that up, when we had call backs, with defective main breakers, never had a problem with any other then Mains in SO D, other then having to chisel out the KO's, that were stamped, with a tired punch.
We also tried Seimans, they wer ok except about every 10, or 12 loadcenters, you could not reset the main, seimans said they never had any complaints, talked to other EC's and they had athe same problem.
We now use CH, and have not had one problem to date.

#63320 03/13/06 09:57 PM
F
What kind of bad experiences have people had with GE panels?

Thats how we do it up in the woods!
#63321 03/13/06 10:07 PM
D
Siemens user here.

I like the size of the ground and nuetral bars
vs the other manufacturers....

Although they are mostly BL and BQD types, not typically a resi application...

Dnk...

#63322 03/13/06 10:21 PM
E
e57 Offline
If Murray is Seimens bastard cousin, I don't like either family. CH makes a really good product for the money IMO. Sq-d too pricey, but good.

Now this: "FPE is far easier and cheaper than anything else, and FPE would be very common for the distant future" They were pretty common until they burned so many homes down in the past here in the US. You'll be hard pressed to see an EC not wince when they hear the name, or hang their heads at sight of one. AKA "Arc welders", and "Never trip" among other names. Close cousin to "Burnt Buss" AKA Zinsco. Both members of the "You need a new panel" family.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#63323 03/13/06 10:33 PM
S
I don't do any residential so can't comment on that.But as far as industrial GE has been good to me.Sq d is falling fast from my favorite.

#63324 03/13/06 11:32 PM
B
Frank, I have had some issues with the type that accept thins...poor contact and burnt busses, breakers falling out. I haven't had any issues with the style that only accepts full size breakers that attach just like all the common ones. Of course theres the fact that only a GE breaker will fit in a GE panel, although if you are a homeowner or handyman you will be able to fit any kind in there.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard