ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
F
frankft Offline OP
Does anybody know if a manufacturer makes a mechanical interlock that would go in a small residential panel. I'm looking to interlock 2 breakers so they both can't be in the same positon at the same time. thanks

Thats how we do it up in the woods!
D
I thought there would be a sliding bar interlock of some type but there doesn't appear to be one in their current catalog.

D
http://www.eatonelectrical.com/NASA...s&cid=1016116177073&Sec=products

Go to Online Catalogue, then in the drop down menu, go to "Miscelleneous"

The Cat# is CHML

[This message has been edited by distributor x (edited 03-13-2006).]

N
Cuttler-Hammer has one for their type CH panels. The cat. # is CH8BSM

D
For some reason I looked at that CHML and it didn't appear to be able to interloc 2 breakers. However after looking at it again I see how it operates.
However, again, being a former application engineer I have become somewhat suspicious of the way questions are asked. Nobody has varified why the breakers are going to be interlocked in the first place. It could be a simple application.
But, if you think about it the most common application would be for backfeeding a breaker for emergancy power to a panel. I would like to rule that application out as I doubt if the CHML is listed for that application.

F
i dont know if you catch this or not but the person is asking the BR series not the CH series breaker and i did look up and yes they have interlock on BR series.

the part number is BRML and it listed about 65 bucks [ the price might varies a bit depending on where ya get it ]

Merci, Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

D
Marc,
I did see that part but backed off on replying with the P/N because nit having ever seen one installed, the picture in the catalog wasn't very good. I have a 2001 C-H cat. on CD ROM ot refer to. But after looking at the much better picture of the CHML I took a another look at the BRML and I now understood how it worked.
If you will not, like a lot of with C-H accessories it fits around the raised flange area which surrounds the toggle and is pressed in place with no fasteners. If you will notice there are some metal ears that stick our that grab the side of the flange and holds the accessory in place.
As I state before I don't believe it's intended for use as an interlock to backfeed a panel through a branch breaker.
You know how you can smell a rat when someone askes a questions in a way to get an answer that they want to hear?
In the year that I have worked with both Westinghouse (now the BR)and C-H breakers and accessories I have never sold ony if these interlocks let alone have I seen one and I still have a few BR accessory samples around.
Dave

F
Dave i do understand what you mean with the interlock device and i was not too thrilled with this also because if the cover is being removed for mantaice reason you actally defeat this important safety feture [ item ] that what i am worry about this one.

i just rather have true interlocked breaker than add on peice of crap what i been dealing with industrial breaker they have this feture in there [ sorta like a cam with walking beam type ].

unforetally i did check few other manufacter with simuir set up it gave me willies because most do stick on on the box cover and what if someone dont relized this is a genny feed breaker and have both main and genny breaker on the same time wow it will have nice fireworks there.

[ i did see that beforehand ]

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

L
LK Offline
"interlock 2 breakers so they both can't be in the same positon at the same time."

The question, tells you, trouble in on the way.

[This message has been edited by LK (edited 03-16-2006).]

F
frankft Offline OP
Before you get your panties in a bunch, maybe I should rephrase my question. There is a UL listed generatore interlock kit that bolts onto most panel covers. The site is interlockkit.com Now GE also has a bolt on cover kit for its PowerMark gold plus panels THQLLX1. SQ D also has these setups, but I was looking for a kit to go in a older panel. This isn't someting I just dreamed up, UL has approved them. Yes the homeowner could take the cover off and make some bad mistakes, but they could also rip the meter out and bug into their wiring right there. As a electrician all I can do is install things the way they are intendended, and if someone else wants to play around with it afterwoods there's not much we can do about it.

Thats how we do it up in the woods!
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard