ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 564 guests, and 39 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
W
There is a lot of diversity on this board. My experience has been mostly design with engineering, procurement, and construction company. I have done design on residential high-rise apartments, marina's, restaurants, cotton mills, barge container berths, pharmaceutical plants, and many others. We have to design to and beyond the NEC. But I enjoy the questions and answers that come to this board, although many of the residential questions I don't know the answers to.
I have even had my time repairing TV's and appliances back in the late 70's.

D
I am primarily industrial also. I too started in electronics. Got my A.A.S. and did consumer repair work for a while. Job situation forced me to industrial construction as a helper and I eventually worked up to a top control electrician. This eventually worked into a maintenance position with an aggregates mine.

D
I (we) do nothing but old work. About 60% light/medium commercial and 39% residential. The other one percent is for all the oddball stuff we get recommended for, that no one else wants to touch. I like that kind of stuff, and the guys humor me, mostly. Repairing "farmer wiring" at grain bins is a great way to really find out how good you are at innovating, legally.

Dallas

E
5 yrs electronics technician.
10 yrs residential and light commercial... construction and service.
5 yrs industrial construction.
2 yrs industrial maintenance.
10 yrs commercial construction.

It's all been Commercial & Industrial, except for a few years of fancy Custom Residential for the Rich & Famous.
I got tired of my management position about a year ago, and changed jobs to go back out in the field. Now I do Comm & Industrial Service (again).

R
I worked through an IBEW apprenticeship in the mid 70's doing commercial, multifamily, and some industrial. For a few years after I topped out, I ran the service truck. Then started running commercial, institutional (prisons), and smaller industrial jobs. For the last 12 years or so, I've only worked on industrial projects. This current assignment is an industrial plant that makes plastics and I am the outside contractor's supervisor. We are on the plant site every day and average about 10,000 man-hours per year at this site. I've been here full time for almost 7 years, and my very first day in the trade was at this same site. The guy who was my first supervisor retired in 95 and I took his place. I enjoy it here as we work on everything from the 4.16kV distribution to the fiber and Cat-5 communications systems. I also teach grounding and code changes for the Local JATC.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
Don(resqcapt19),
I also went through the IBEW, and as I mentioned above am an instructor. I teach 4th year code.
electure,
I can relate to getting tired of a job. I've been "cooped up" in this office for over 2 years now, and it gets old.

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
I must be the youngest one here I think. (No offense to anybody intended.) I have my Associates in Ecletrical Engineering Technology and have 3 semesters to go for the Bachelors. Currently I work for PA maintaining lighting systems, offices, diesel shops, and winter stocking yards. Although I have never had any formal electrical schooling (IBEW, ABC, etc.) I have managaed to land myself two of the best supervisors in the area. Both are IBEW trained. In the time that I have worked with them, I have learned more about practical electricity than all my years of schooling. Most of my electrical work has been commercial and light industrial. Very little residential. (The occasional get together on the weekends to help a friend with a new house or addition deal.) I spend a lot of time learning about transformers, non-PLC control, high voltage, and power generation. I enjoy that much more than the small electronics that I deal with in school. I must say that these "resumes" I am reading above are amazing. Keep up the good work.

big blue,
That is a cool screen name.....I love it!
[Linked Image]

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
N
Watt Doc. I didn’t mention before but I also am IBEW. I went through the 5-year apprenticeship. Missed the four-year by one year.
I have been asked to go into the office and become a detailer. I am not sure I want to at this point in my carrier, especially after reading yours and electures posts.
I usually run the larger jobs for my company. The ones that are impossible from the get go, you know $5 million in 6 months type. Lately things have been slow and I have done a couple of small jobs. One’s I can work with the tools on. I think I would rather do these. They seem to be a lot more fun! And I get paid the same. But then again, it sounds like Don has a pretty good gig too! [Linked Image]

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard