ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
K
kojunho Offline OP
hi im new to this forum and so far found it very informational. i am currently attending a trade school to become an electrician. i want to get a job while im attending school. since i only go every other day. total of 20hrs a week. so on the non-school days i would like to get a part-time job, but seems impossible here in the cali. bay area. it also seems that since im not in the union people dont want to hire me. i find it very difficult to get an apprenticeship around my area. any tips on getting a job. i perfer commercial, or industrial work.

i perfered not to go union b/c i want to do everything i can possibly do. where i heard the union you can only do so much for the first year and then next year you get to do a little more,etc.

G
Well this isn't really the place for the union/non-union talk. They both have their positives and negatives.

I can tell you that an apprenticeship is hard to get into in some areas and easy in others. Here in Atlanta all you need is $40 for the app. and your scheduled to take a basic test. Really easy. First year classes usually have around 200 people in them and they get weeded out quickly. Usually only those that really want to be here end up staying. I don't know how hard it is in Cali, so I can't really say anything about that.

As far as the

you can only do so much for the first year and then next year you get to do a little more,etc.

This is not really correct. You will only learn so much the first year, but you will do everything you are capable of and then some. Short of working things energized.

In 2 1/2 years I have worked at a Water treatment plant, the GM plant, a highschool, The airport and now a hospital. I have done everything possible on these jobs from sweeping trash to running 4 inch rigid (with a JW of course).

As far as a PT job, you might want to try staffing agencies too. I have seen some around this area looking for electricains.

I do wish you the best of luck.

"If common sense was common, everyone would have it"-not sure, someone here

E
e57 Offline
California is currently dealing with some major changes on how people enter the trade. Most of which has not been figured out yet. A law was signed several years ago, and just enstated at the begining of the year.

Re:http://www.dir.ca.gov/DAS/ECU_FAQ.htm

Currently this law is creating an artificial shortage of electricians IMO. Employers need "Certified Journeymen" for the most part, as they can work alone, or to surpervise non-certified personel on a 1-1 basis. (So if you have too many Indians and not enough chiefs you have a problem. The real problem is there are not enough of either at this point.)

On the Union/Non-union thing, GA76Apprentice is right, we try to totally avoid the issue here, otherwise everyone starts beating thier chests like baboons and conversation just spirals into the niether world.

Since you mention the Bay Area, I think I can safely assume you are attending school in Hayawrd? (School #109?) I believe they have a night program that you may, or may not be able to get into, which would free you up to work more and make you more attractive to employers. But, like I said, there is a shortage, and many shops are now more willing to take on part-time guys. But in your case (New to the game) you're gonna have to learn that some people will just hang up the phone on you, and others will not. i.e. the Union will only hire out of thier Hall, ever, period. Don't take it personally, it is the way it is. So if you are "Cold Calling" just scratch those off your list, unless you join the union. On the other hand thier are LOTS of jobs out there. (For instance my shop is short 5 guys right now in SF.) You just need to know where to look... An ad in any Bay Area paper in the Jobs Classifieds costs about $500 a day. Emlployers have for the most part moved to places like Craigslist to post jobs. Some supply houses also are posting jobs on bulliten boards. Then of course word of mouth....

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
K
kojunho Offline OP
thanks for the advice guys. sorry about the union non-union deal.

currently, i am attending school in santa clara. called IBT(institute for business and technology).

i have called around and applied for serveral places. all seemed very nice, but havent got any responses yet. i have also tried the local parts supplier and they dont have anything posted either. while i was there i was talking to an independant electrician and he was very upset about the new law. he mentioned that he couldnt get any help b/c of it. his insurance wouldnt cover me if he hired me b/c i wasnt certified or registered with the state. the advice he gave me was i should try to work for a big company, instead of independant contractors like himself.

i have also looked on craigslist but all need a min. experience req. damn, i never wanted a job so bad in my life.

L
LK Offline
"his insurance wouldnt cover me if he hired me b/c i wasnt certified or registered with the state."

This is the problem, with going to a private school for electrical, outside of the system, my neighbors son went 2 years to a private school, then he was employeed with a local contractor, he had to start all over, and register with the state labor department, and the school did not give him credit for any of the 2 years, i think, it might be better, to find a contractor that will hire you, and then register for the state program.

K
kojunho Offline OP
please bear with me as i am trying to understand the process.

-im going to a trade school, is my school's credit going to count for anything when i graduate??
-also need to find a contractor that will hire me and register me in the state program??

i cant register myself?? the registration needs to be filled out by an employer? my uncles a general contractor, can he help me out in any way, even though he not certified electrician??

[This message has been edited by kojunho (edited 03-12-2006).]

L
Don't mean to be rude but I think you are wasting time and money on the school you are now attending. You want an apprenticeship so you get the field experience with the schooling.

I am not sure how it goes in your area but down here non union shops have apprenticeships that is accepted as time towards your Jmans card, the company I work for is one of them. Our apprentices go to school two nights a week and work 40 hours a week. We are so hurting down here for electricians many of the larger contractors offer apprenticeships.

K
kojunho Offline OP
opps my bad, i meant to say that is my schools credit gonna count for anything when i graduate?? like towards the hours i need for a journeyman certification?? i believe its 4800hrs for residental

L
LK Offline
As LG said, it may differ from one state to another, but usually, unless the trade school, is registered, with the labor department, and you have a contractor sponsor you, they don't count the school time, my neighbors son had 200 hours credited, by the good heart, of the contractor, credit for his work hours time, not much time for all his hours, just check into this, so you don't have to start all over, when you do get settled with a contractor.
The job usually comes first, then they register you, with the state, and usually pay for the classes.

K
kojunho Offline OP
so if i can get a job, i can get registered through the contractor and my hours at school would count towards my certification while im in school, right? thanks for your guys help. i really apprecite the input.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard