ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#63108 03/07/06 06:56 PM
S
To make a long story short, my folks are both getting ready for retirement and have already bought a home that they rent out in Myrtle Beach, S.C. They tell me the housing market (new, remodels), are going up all over the place down there. Though my rents' know little about the electrical trade, especially the business end, they seem convinced that I could do better down there than I could in New Jersey. I disagree.

My question is this, has anyone here ever moved from the northeast (I'm in NJ) to South Carolina as an electrical contractor and done better there than here? I know there are no shortcuts to success, just curious what some of the others have experienced doing something similiar to this.

[This message has been edited by ShockMe77 (edited 03-07-2006).]

M
shock,

as a contractor or a field electrician?

J
Hi Shock,
This isn't a specific answer to your question but might be a useful part of the big picture. Use this link to determine how much you need to make at your new location to live at the same standard you do now.
Joe http://www.homefair.com/homefair/calc/salcalc.html

E
e57 Offline
Hmmm.... Grew up on the northeast coast. (Boston) Spent some time in South Carolina. (About a year) And I can say this: It - is - a - huge - change - in - intensity, - everything - moves - at - a - much - slower - pace. [Linked Image] Not that it's a bad thing, but it takes some getting used to. You might want to visit first.

You could rise to the top of very thin cream. Or wear yourself out trying to whip some air into it. You'll also have to learn how to speak in colorfull analogies, it seems to be the language of the south...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
W
Hell yes, because all these "Damn Yankees" that are lost are down here driving in the fast lanes.

E
e57 Offline
Oh, and did I mention, that you'll always be an outsider - I mean Yankee. [Linked Image]

Just remember to shop for shoes before you leave, you might have trouble finding some place to buy them down the line.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
S
It is a lot easier to turn a wire nut when your hands are not frozen.

W
Surfin
Don't tell them that or before we know it they will all be down here building these shoe store things. [Linked Image]

D
With all them golf courses down there, I'd be in serious trouble.

The phone would stay off way too much.....

Dnk...

S
As of right now I'd be a field electrician. I don't have my license just yet but I am going to school right now. Tonight I learned about current leading the voltage and inductive reactance, capacitant reactance, phase angles, and so on. Exciting stuff I tell ya!

Anyway, I did stay in Charlotte, NC for 3 months in 1989 so I am fully aware how different everything is compared to New Jersey. I have admit though, I knew nothing about the shoes thing [Linked Image] I'll make a note of that.

If, and that's a big if, and when I go down there, I would want to be licensed. I don't think it'd be a good idea to move down there without one, being a Yankee and all. [Linked Image] But for the most part I get along with southerners from my experiences in the service, there was never a problem then so why would there be one now?

[This message has been edited by ShockMe77 (edited 03-07-2006).]

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard