ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (gfretwell), 32 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
on long runs of say 4/0 with alot of tension how do you keep the rope from burning thru the pvc 90's, one 90 the rope burn't all the way thru, had loads of lube on the wire. this can't be good to have the pipe split open. the run is 400' with 3- 90's and 3" pvc. is this common.

V
use a braided pull rope. Yellow nylon rope cuts the PVC as you noted. A pull rope is braided polyester (I think) that is softer and will go thru 90's smoothly. Rod http://www.greenlee.textron.com/cat_docs/Fish_CablePull_MaterialHandle.pdf
page 34

[This message has been edited by venture (edited 03-05-2006).]

G
Use EMT 90°s. [Linked Image]

-George
S
Most jobs I have done ridgid 90 was the spec with the bitchmastic coating.How about lots of soap pull a snot rag thru the conduit or blow a bunch of soap in it.

L
the rope is braided like a clothes line rope material but very high tension maybe the rope is to thin it's maybe 5/8. all but one 90 is underground .

B
Those braided polyester ropes aren't cheap. Especially in lengths 400' long(if they make them that long). If you used rigid 90's they would have to be 18" or deeper. Is there a way to bond a rigid 90 in a pvc run above ground?

Jesus may have been a capenter,but God was an electrician.Genesis1:3
T
Greenlee does sell such bull ropes.

If the feeder pull is going to be a challenge: slurry the nineties; use sweeps in the horizontal turns.

Truly get the pipe clean of mud, debris....
Pull in a snot rag.

Push the wire in as much as is practical: each pound of force here triggers a multiple of force reduction at the tugger.

Use a nice exit sheave: pull straight up over a pulley.

When allowed, aluminum conductors will pull easier and cost less than copper.

Tesla
X
I agree with the rigid 90*'s. I won't use pvc 90*'s underground. Of course that won't help if you've already installed it. If so, you'll have to use a different type of pull rope as suggested.

S
You bond your metal 90 when you take metal all the way up thru the pour and put a meg bushing on it.

R
All round ropes will cut through the PVC. The braided rope is an improvement over the twisted rope, but it will still cut under high tension and long pulls. Also the use of the twisted rope with tuggers is a safety issue. It has too much stretch and can cause injury or damage. The braided rope is a more "static" rope and does not have as much stretch.

Some use "mule" tape to pull in PVC. It is flat and reduces the cut through.
Don

Don(resqcapt19)
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard