ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 383 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
P
Found this on Fark.com:

http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/asection/la-na-dogshock26feb26,0,7832478.story

Now I know there are dangers when it comes to electricity, but it really boils my blood when deaths happen needlessly (especially Humans). I know that ripping out all the old wiring and putting new stuff in would require a Utopian society, but it still makes my blood boil. Sure, companies can be held financially liable for faulty equipment, but how big of a lawsuit would it take to bring back someone's dog... or 10 year old kid... or wife of 10 years. I could keep going on and on, but I can feel steam coming out of my ears.

Cat Servant
Utility companies are somewhat painted into a corner, just by the facts of life.
As a state-sanctioned monopoly- someone you simply MUST do business with- they're already behind the curve when it comes to pleasing the public.

Moreover, you inject politics into the mix- where everybody and his uncle has an often conflicting say in things, and it's a miracle anything gets done.

I can't say how it is everywhere, but our assorted utilities seem to devote most of their resources to addressing "public concerns," holding hearings, and answering politically-based lawsuits. It's a miracle anything gets done.

The largest activity seems to be rate hearings- where activists will oppose new construction, upgrading existing 'infrastructure,' and any moneies spent on maintenance are seen as waste. Let a crew actually go out and tear up a walk, and watch the complaints roll in!

So I'm not surprised Fido is way down the list of priorities!

W
Sounds like pet and other shops in New York City should start selling voltage detectors mounted on canes. ?

E
e57 Offline
Here's another one: (in my old home town...)
C-town dog

More here: http://www.buergerwelle.de/body_emf-omega-news_12-03-04.html

Now, first I should mention that I have a bais to believe that it cruel to keep a dog in an urban area. And with that I am neither a dog hater, or lover at that, I'm a cat person....

Now the electric portion of this... Yeah, a dogs physiology is different than our own, and a critical path through the chest cavity is much more easy to obtain leg to leg on a dog on all fours. Say a dog, 30' foot to foot on wet salted water that just so happens to have a 'potential' of 70VAC on it. That potential needs to measured to something, right? The next segment of pavement in the same salt watered soil is not going to have much different potential IMO, unless of course it has a system ground in it... Long story short... I think this situation would be extremely rare to have that type of voltage develop from a 120/240 feeder under pavement. A medium or high voltage feeder would be a different story, and very possible. Either way, note that most of these stories sound a lot like the EMF people who whould have all conductors shielding in kyptonite. The same people who would petition to underground all od those ugly over-head lines. Not saying it didn't happen, but it does sound like hystreria in the way they are written.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
E
e57 Offline
"Some owners are now buying rubber and leather mitts for their pooches’ paws.

“We’ve had a large interest in that since the first news came out a few months ago,” said Andy Chan, general manager of a Petco in Boston."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4508528/

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard