ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#62773 02/26/06 11:35 AM
N
Does Greenlee or anyone else manufacture a punch for installing a standard US duplex receptacle in a metal panel? I have a project where I will need to put a whole bunch of them on the door of an enclosure, and the idea of hand filing all the openings isn't very appealing.

I could just cut oversize rectangular holes, and use standard coverplates, but it wouldn't be as clean looking.

I recall seeing them, but I don't think it makes the whole cutout in one pass.....

duh. I edited cuz I got a catalog right here.............its called a double D punch and it only make one hole at a time, and they come in 5 sizes

[This message has been edited by togol (edited 02-26-2006).]

Tom
E
e57 Offline
Yes they do... several manufactures make them. It's going to be a hard find though. Never used or seen a duplex one, but some time back I got a 1-5/16X2-5/8" one for decora style for essetially the same type of thing you are doing (More versitile IMO), and the duplex was in the catalog.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
N
I thought about using decoras and just making rectangular holes on a milling machine, but some of the receptacles need to be isolated ground, and I have never seen a decora IG receptacle.

L
Leviton's 16262 (15a) and 16362 (20a) receptacle lines are IG Decora hospital-grade.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
N
Thanks! Maybe that's the way to go then.

D
See pages 33 & 34
60099 looks like it would be about the same size as a duplex receptacle (2 holes would be required)
http://www.mygreenlee.com/products/Holemaking.PDF

or, could you not just use a hole saw, make a round hole and drop in a flanged outlet (or 2)?

I once got a 20A Hosp.Gr. lighted face GFI in Red the next day....

..those IGs can't be that rare.....

Tom
W
Before you go out and get a punch for this, I'd consider farming this out. I've dealt with two companies _capable_ of doing this sort of work, and can recommend them on general quality, however I have not used them for electrical panels, and cannot comment on the specifics of their work on such projects.

The first is 'Laser Laminations'. I've used them to precision cut custom motor laminations for some of our prototypes. You send them a '.dxf' drawing of what you want, and get it about a week later as holes in metal. http://www.laserlaminations.com/products.htm

The second is 'Hales Engineering' in Camarillo, CA. They do general machine building and welding, and I've seen them make custom electrical equipment enclosures.

-JOn

E
e57 Offline
Add to that list Myers sheetmetal in SF,CA.
Small shop nice work. I get panel covers made from them a lot.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard