ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 539 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
If only it was in my contract $$$$. The xfmer was old...a small hole was in the side - almost like it got shot [Linked Image]...but we have strict rules for firearm carry permits here in NJ.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
B
Years ago I was doing some work in a jail and someone reported that an exhaust fan wasn't working so I proceeded up to the roof to check it. When I got to the guards tower there was no one there so I just climbed out onto the roof. While looking at the fan I hear someone yelling in my direction. The guard had returned to his tower and was telling me to stop what I was doing. Then he tells me to look over at the other tower and there's a guard looking down the scope of his rifle at me. Seems they thought I was an inmate trying to escape and this guy was ready to take me down.

A little off topic
...but we have strict rules for firearm carry permits here in NJ
We have very strict rules on that here in California too. A regular citizen just can't get one.

[This message has been edited by Radar (edited 02-26-2006).]

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
L
"WHO CUT THAT WIRE - YOU BLEW UP THE XFMER!!!"

Celt, how do you pronounce "xfmer"?

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
A
After a recent storm a lady called to complain that a street light was out and it was very dangerous because there were barricades in the street and someone could run into them.
I asked her why there were barricades.
She said it was because the wires to the pole with the street light were laying in the street.
I asked if she thought the two things might be related.
After a long pause she said, Oh, and hung up.
Alan--

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
C
Celt, how do you pronounce "xfmer"

Depending on the application:
- cha-ching
- ka-boom

LOL

A regular citizen can't get one.
OMG - does that mean all the irregulars are armed???

[This message has been edited by Celtic (edited 02-26-2006).]

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
M
actually celtic, that's what it really does mean. not going to get really political here. But gun control only affects regular law abiding citizens. irregular, outlaw type citizens, don't worry about the strict gun laws.

sorry, just had to interject.

R
Long ago before I even started my apprenticeship, my former employer was at his home and was making repairs to an ancient clothes dryer of his. upon completing the repair he turned the breaker back on, only to have it trip immediatly ( this dryer was hard-wired).
Anyway right after the breaker trips open he notices all his lights and appliances are acting weird , some lights are bright, some are dim, fridge wont start, vacuum sounds like its gonna grenade... Anyway I go over there with a tester knowing it was an open neutral SOMEWHERE on the mains.. Couldn't find anything.. Even did an amp check to see if a current is trying to flow through the ground conductor, into the water line, trying to find another path to the transformer... Zero current there.. Everything outside looks good too...
Finally I told my old boss to call the PoCo, as there is a problem in the meter socket OR on the street... He called but then got all worried they were going to blame him and left!!
I stayed for the PoCo and when they showed up they did some tests and found out that several houses had the "open neutral syndrome"... They traced it to the bolted connection between the transformer's neutral lug and the overhead distrubution busswork... Turns out that it was a poor connection to start with and when the boss' dryer shorted out, it wiped out the connection at the transformer, and left all the houses fed from it with a floating neutral!

No damage done as far as we knew in other houses... Some emery cloth and new hardware, the PoCo was on their way in 20 minutes!

A.D

Celtic - Mahlere is exactly right (I was gonna say the same thing). Sorry to stray off topic.

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
S
Radar -

"A little off topic

quote: ...but we have strict rules for firearm carry permits here in NJ

We have very strict rules on that here in California too. A regular citizen just can't get one."

I have a CCW (permit to carry) and I would like to think I'm a regular citizen. I also live in Ventura county, not LA County. I personally know 4 others (2 are electricians) that have CCWs also.

Steve

Thanks
Steve
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard