ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#62619 02/22/06 10:07 AM
S
I am currently working on a remodel on a residential property with multiple buildings. The main house was built pre-1906 with tube and knob system (2 hot and neutral). The building I am working on is a cottage located about 100 feet away from the main house where its electricity originates. The house's main panel has 4 double pole breakers, each feeding a sub-panel.
On the service are the three cables as expected. The three lines that feed the cottage travel through a plastic conduit up the side of the building, across to opposite end on the house and up to a gooseneck and back down another plastic conduit into the ground then ground where it travels under a swimming pool over to the sub-panel in the cottage. At the gooseneck there is an additional cable (green insulated which must be a ground).
The owners have been having problems with the electrical for some time and I have found numerous issues with the wiring and made those changes. I have replaced the sub-panel with a newer model. The 4 that enter the building are connected to appropriate spots, (the two hot cables to a 100 Amp circuit breaker, neutral to the neutral bus and the last to the ground bus. The neutral is un-bonded.
When tested the 2-poles test correctly but I also have 120 across the neutral and ground. I decided to add another grounding rod at the cottage to be sure that the sub-panel is in fact grounded but still have the same test results and when I use a plug tester on the receptacles I all three lights light up.
Any suggestions?

#62620 02/22/06 10:19 AM
W
If you feel like you are over your head here you probably are. If you are a contractor, why haven't you called an electrician? You don't really want the liability on this one do you?

#62621 02/22/06 11:01 AM
Ditto Watthead.
but I also have 120 across the neutral and ground.
This can lead to a disaster, and right now, your name is on the liability list, even though you didn't cause the initial problem. You should call an electrician asap.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
#62622 02/22/06 11:27 AM
R
To add to Wattheads and Radars posts, a ground rod will have no effect on your problem, you need to get an electrician involved.

Roger

Link Copied to Clipboard