ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 263 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#62547 02/19/06 05:06 AM
X
Help straighten me out on this. While talking to someone in another forum, we seemed to disagree on MW branch circuits. He says that the ungrounded conductors in this circuit shall have a disconnecting means that will disconnect the circuits simultaniously at their panel of origin.
I say, that only applies to multiwire cicuits that attach to a device on the same yoke. Say a split duplex where each the top and bottom outlet is fed with a different circuit. Those types of installations require a multipole breaker to turn off both circuits. I also say, in a regular MW branch circuit setup, where each circuit takes care of it's own set of devices while each share a common neutral, that you do not have to have a single way to disconnect the circuits simultaniously. I think I'm right about this, but he cited Section 210.4
I even have a video,
Mike Holt

P
Usual caveat that I'm no NEC guru, but as I read 210.4(B) you are correct. It explicitly says that a common disconnect shall be provided when the circuit feeds devices or equipment on the same yolk.

210.4(C) would also require a common disconnect if the circuit feeds any 240V loads.

W
XtheEdgeX: You are correct. A multi-wire branch circuit that serves entirely independent loads is not _required_ to be protected by multipole/tied breakers. You don't even have to put the breakers next to each other in the panel.

The 'common wisdom' on DIY boards is that while not required, tied breakers are a very good idea on multi-wire branch circuits. So if you are doing an installation somewhere where you suspect that non-_professionally_ qualified individuals will ever muck with the system, you should probably consider using a tied breaker as a design choice. (I don't want to start a 'DIY' good or bad discussion, simply suggesting that if one suspects a chance that DIY will happen in a particular situation, that one make slightly different design choices.)

I would also suggest that putting the breakers next to each other is a more 'professional' way to install a multi-wire branch circuit, and that somehow paring the hot conductors that share the neutral (say by tying them together near the breakers) is a good little note to leave for the next EC who opens the panel.

-Jon

IF you're doing comm, office partitions (cubicles) read 605.6 & 605.7 ('05 NEC)

John

John
X
That's what I thought. I've installed MW branch circuits for many years, but when he cited, and I read section 210, it had me guessing. I didn't think all those engineered prints I've seen throughout my career were wrong. Thanks for the input.

W
Hotline1, thanks. 210.4 giveth, 605.6 taketh away.

-Jon

L
Edge, remember to never use device terminals for continuity of the neutral in multi-wire circuits. Use pigtails instead.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com

Link Copied to Clipboard