ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 104 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Cat Servant
One of the functions of an apprenticeship program is to see that the apprentices rotate among different types of work, usually through different employers. Don't be afraid to talk to your program director.

N
Watch taking a lower pay, I did such years ago when i had changed over from resi. I already had some light comm. exp. and took the lower pay. Beleive me i more then proved my self over the next few months to the point of just being given a list and going and getting it done. Passing inspections no problem. When it came time for the up in pay no go, this is how they rope you in and get cheap labor!!! stand clear get what your worth. The east coast is very differant from the west and central states pay does matter!

A
Once you learn some of the comercial basics like bending, metal studs, material, equipment, etc. then you can ask for more $. Otherwise go ahead and look for another comercial place. At least then you would have some comercial experiance. The key is to get your foot in the door.

Just like an non experianced person that wants to be an electrician. Some may find it difficult to get started. But if you say the pay rate is not as important as getting started you will get a job much faster.

Think of it this way. Many people pay huge money for an education. On top of that they have to cover living expences. A number of graduates have a student loan to pay for many years. In the trades it tends to be different. You hopefully learn on the job while getting paid. Some places will even send you to classes and pay for it.

Now look at it from the emploiers point of view. Are you better paying a JW that should know what to do in a reasonable amount of time without mistakes. Or a newbe for 1/2 as much that takes 2 times as long to do the same job. The cost to perform the same fuction may be the same. The disadvantage of the newbe is the work quality may not be as good, more chances of mistakes, damage, injury, and they should be supervised more closely.

The only advantages of hireing a newbe are:
A. They are doing more unskilled phiscal work when a JW is not needed but it also will mean less of a chance to learn.

B. The newbe is faster, does not take twice as long as a JW with reasonable quality, and no major mistakes

C. The newbe is paid less then half a JW.

D. I hate this the worst. When an emploier will just use only apprentaces. Drop em off at a job till they are done. Then fix what is taggeg or does not work. Not only will you not learn so much you will probibly learn things wrong. Because not one person on the crew seen the inside of the NEC but one herd from another that the code was this.

I mean no offence to people just starting and there are some great workers out there and some bad JW too. Just tring to explain the business side of it too.

Tom

[This message has been edited by Active 1 (edited 02-18-2006).]

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard