ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 215 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
Also in Florida, we can never seem to hire enough, think we are around 80 something electricians. We have an apprentice program, seems most of the kids today dont want to work and dont like showing up for classes.

E
e57 Offline
You have to be were the work is, Union or Merit. Spec', public works and new development work will always dry up where ever you are at the moment. (Eventualy) Large cities where things are torn down and put back up continualy in historicaly active economies are where it is at.

Currently, both my present and last employer have both had ads out for 2 months - no replies! And I haven't had less than 40, in years.

Hows it go? More pay / less hours, less pay / more hours? It all works out the same..... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
S
Same here in the DC/MD/VA metro area. With the govt being here and the constant changeover of residents and the growth there is never a shortage of work. Even in slow times elsewhere this area keeps us working, both union and non. (And FYI ... I have been teaching apprenticeship since 91 and if you only earned a 39 you got a 39 ... period)

R
True all, dishonesty is everywhere. I apologize for implying otherwise. Again, it is up to the individual.

And BTW,
The real technical support is here at ECN!!
Learn, then earn! ;D

I
Everyone thanks for the info.

I can understand the slow periods during the winter months but the selection process has been postponed since August. I just think that is a long time to not have enough work.

I was told by an IBEW member that I should get into the telecommunications side of the apprenticeship bc they are lacking people there and then transfer over to electrical.
Any thoughts on that?

Also, I scored a 93.5 not a 39.

Thanks again,
IndySteel

D
I have jobs clear through next year. A few of state jobs too. Private contractor though, non-union. NYC.

C
"Apprentices are not allowed to travel - w/o consent from their home local and the other local. Ask your agent if unsure - don't just pack up and go."

It sounds like hes not been accepted yet, Ill be damned if I let anyone tell me where I can travel.

I under stand those sentiments(and the others)...but...the "other" local would now be footing the bill for the training for an applicant they didn't select...or possibly have room for.

If Indy wants to be in the Union - that is his decision.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard