ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
N
After the closure of the "neverending story" thread, and several others in the past, I really think that we need a CLEAR definition of exactly WHAT constitutes the dreaded "political content" for the purposes of this site.

From what I am able to figure out, it seems to be limited to anything that pokes fun at Republicans, G.W. Bush, conservatives, or anything else on the right side of the spectrum. I am left having to believe that there is some kind of ideological bias at work here because of the threads/comments that get closed, as opposed to those that are allowed to remain.

For example, many disparaging comments (some deserved, many not) get made about "enviro-wackos" or "greenies", and these are allowed to stay up. Same goes for threads (completely unrelated to ANYTHING electrical) dedicated to "supporting" or "thanking" current/former military personnel for their service.

Even the US flag waving in the upper left corner of every forum page is inherently a POLITICAL STATEMENT.

If there is a ban on political comments based on which side of the aisle you happen to agree with, that's fine, but let's have a clear, unambiguous statement SAYING SO. If not, then I would hope to see the ban enforced even-handedly.

M
I like this page and I think we should follow my mom's wisdom and never discuss religion or politics with friends as it will most likely strike up a disagreement. Let's keep it what it was designed for. I did love that thread though it was a hoot. Oh darn dropped my bagle out of my clip board.

N
I agree. If the webmasters want a "politics-free-zone" here, that's probably the safest way to go as far as avoiding arguments, etc.

I was just questioning exactly how the decision about what is "political" gets made, because (intentional or not), it seems to have a definite ideological component to it...

[This message has been edited by NJwirenut (edited 02-15-2006).]

M
I think maybe its not so much an idealogical content thing as the inherent inability of some people to limit themselves as to how far they will go. Then it becomes a rude thing. Kinda like repositioning the eyes to get a better look at some womens features if you know what I mean.

R
Njwirenut, I think most here have a pretty good idea of what is provocative or insulting (even if subliminal) as far as political issues are concerned.

As far as being one sided for Republicans, poking fun at Democrats or Independents is off limits as well, posts and threads crossing this line have also been removed in the past.

Union verses Nonunion, risqué, religion, and vulgar type post and threads will also be shut down and or removed.

FYI, this is not only for American politics, political posts and threads dealing with overseas members and their political situations in their own countries have been squelched also.

As far as thanking the military past and present here or abroad, I know that here in the USA, both Republicans and Democrats have been in office when we have lost soldiers by their leaders commands, so I don't think that is unilateral or IMO even political by any stretch of the imagination.

Even the US flag waving in the upper left corner of every forum page is inherently a POLITICAL STATEMENT.

More correctly, that is a Patriotic Statement from where this site is based.

I think Mike is right.

I think maybe its not so much an idealogical content thing as the inherent inability of some people to limit themselves as to how far they will go. Then it becomes a rude thing.

Roger

Administrator
NJwirenut,

I don't know of any clear definition of "Political Content" but I do feel that we try to be fair and do the best we can here.

When a thread comes up "supporting" or "thanking" current/former military personnel for their service I follow it very carefully. In my opinion, a simple statement of support or Thank You to the people who fight and risk their lives on behalf of our Country does not make a Political Statement and should not offend anyone.

If you, or anyone else feels some comments are out of place here feel free to email myself or one of the Moderators about it. Be specific, and timely about it.

Webmaster,
I wondered why, instead of re-directing the goof-ball nature of the thread...as was done when it seemed the nosense was going blue....
...you just ended it....

I don't want to debate your decision, I was simply curious.

Tom
Administrator
togul,

Let me first say that I do feel bad for Marc, because it was his thread and I do apologize to him for the closing of it, but it was going places it shouldn't be and I felt it was best to end it.

When a thread starts to go south (which I define as likely to happen) redirection is a good choice, but when comments considered objectionable or out of bounds have already been made it is often too late to do that.

If something is caught right away a comment can often be edited out and explanation and/or caution added so that people know what's going on. If it's not caught right away comments have been made to comments and sometimes many posts and different people are involved. Rather than mass-editing (which leaves everyone wondering about something) closing is easier.

As I see it, leaving a thread open with objectionable content in it means that more (similar or opposing) comments must be accepted too, and then we are in a discussion that we are trying to avoid.

Additionally, anything left standing will likely be brought up by someone as a complaint at some point.

On a personal note: To be totally honest here, I'm not always 100% sure that what I do is the best possible action, but I try very hard to be unbiased, and I do believe I have the best interests of the Forum as a whole at heart.

Bill

I
Bill you run a great site, please do not second guess yourself. [Linked Image]

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
D
I concur with Iwire........

Dnk...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard