ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Mike82 Offline OP
I am an electrical engineer working for a large defense contractor. While the money is good and the job is cushy, it is true that money isn't everything, and the job does not offer much satisfaction- sitting behind a computer and updating documentation is not my thing. I know that I need to do something much more hands on.

I've always enjoyed electrical work and so I've decided to apply for an apprenticeship through the local union. I realize that I may take a pay cut for a little while, but in the end it may be worth it in job satisfaction.

My question is, have any of you ever switched from engineering or another professional occupation to the electrical trade? After finishing your apprenticeship training, did you feel that the switch was worth it? Just wanted to hear about some of your experiences!

M
nah, most of us look to switch this field to anything else ;-)

truthfully, a lot will have to do with your current situation:

married? family? age?

if you are young and single it's alot different than if you are trying to support a wife and two kids on an apprentice's wage.

I know this doesn't really answer your questions, but good luck.

M
Mike82 Offline OP
Well I'm 23 years old and currently single. Although the area I live in is high cost of living. I realize that a few years down the road the I'll be earning the same if not more than I do now as an engineer.

I was thinking that combining practical experience of being an electrician with being an engineer, it might help me if I ever want to go into management or have a contracting business. I'd kind of like to focus on the industrial side of the trade- PLCs, motor control, automation, etc.

R
Scott Thompson who is a moderator here wears both hats as well as Al hildenbrand who is a respected member. I know there are more and I'm sure you will get some input from some of them.

I wish I could have done both too, but who knows, I'm not that old yet,(51). [Linked Image]

Roger

C
That's funny Mike...I'm thinking of going the OTHER way - electrician to engineer....LOL.

As you get older, the trade does take it's toll on a body...but as you are still young, making a transition now could be a good (and prfitable) thing. If and when your body decides it doesn't want to be "abused" anymore - back to the desk you go with the EE hat.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
T
Check out past threads on body damage Mike. If you want to play football with your grandchildren, stick with the desk job.

Dave

T
I have an ASEET [Associate Science Electrical Engineering Technology] and 1/2 towards a bachelors. Never looked back.

L
Electricians are making more than EE's? I find that hard to believe unless you are talking EC's or prevailing wage jobs.

Cat Servant
BTDT...three years toward an engineering degree. What matters is what is important to you.

I spent living, working, studying with engineers. At the end of it all, I realised it just wasn't the place for me....

Now, at the end of the day, I can point to something I've actually done- and not just some paper fantasy. No "same old- same old" every day either....every job is a new adventure.

Nor could I see myself as just another chairborne commando, working for "Engulf & Devour."

My only "caution" is to not think of an apprenticeship as a "step backward." Your current title may have 'electrical' in it, but has precious little to do with electrical work, or electrical contracting. You wouldn't ask a "mechanical engineer" to fix your car, would you? You'll be entering a whole new trade, and have an awful lot to learn; while your prior training may help in some areas, that's only a beginning.

W
WFO Offline
Best advice I evr got when I was 20 years old.

You're going to spend the next 40 plus years of your life earning a living. You might as well do something you enjoy.

Money ain't everything.

What you might like is getting with a utility in their Technical Services department. Get to use what you know and do a little "hands on" at the same time. That's what I'm doing and I rarely have to force myself to get up in the morning (unless it's hops/barley related and that's another story [Linked Image])

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard