ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 205 guests, and 28 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
e57 Offline OP
Showed up at a job to drop some pipe in a trench yesturday. So I set up, un-load all the material, lay out a cord to the spider box, and hop in the hole to cut off a stub-out to start my run. I pull the trigger on my saws-all and it kicks into over-drive turbo speed! Freaky fast! I say to myself, "Hey, thats not right..." So I go get my meter, and find that my cord is 240v! I go back to the spider box, and make sure I didn't accidently jamb it into the 30A outlet, which can happen easily if you have well worn plugs and outlets. Nope... I test the other outlets on the box. The 200/30 is only 120, and half of the 120's are 220v. The framers compressor goes (Fed from another box down the line) on and sounds like it's turbocharged, I then just un-plug the whole box. The whole job comes to a stop looking at me, so I tell 'em it'll be a few minutes I have to check something out. I then get the job Sup'er on my back asking why I shut off the power while I am checking the cords feeding the boxes. So I ask him if he noticed any tools getting damaged. He thinks a second, and then rifles off a list of drills, saws and other items over the course of three months when the project started. So I find it... The first cord cap had X and W reversed since day one.

One would figure that if someone uses the same tools everyday, that they would notice something odd over three months? Then again, that the ELECTRICIAN who wired that cord cap for site power would have checked his work? So now the company might get a sizable bill for the list of tools...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Then again, that the ELECTRICIAN who wired that cord cap for site power would have checked his work?

Around here some of the very largest GC's who are too cheap to have the EC setup & maintain the temp power on big jobs do it themselves, partly with their laborers. I have seen this more than once.

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
Worked an install many years ago where the laborers kept pluging in the merc vapor temp lights into the 220 twistlock. The ballasts and caps burned with the most repulsive stench!!

Problem is, I have yet to see any spider box design that can truly stand up to the abuse by the folks on an average jobsite. I thought about trying to design one, but gave up when I realized that it would set me back at least $2,000 for the prototype and the manufactured costs would readily top $1,000 per unit.

Stupid should be painful.

Link Copied to Clipboard