ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 265 guests, and 15 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
F
i was talking with few guys in the chat room and this question came up about using the undercabent strip light it is low voltage type and what i did on one jobsite i did add a twistlock rep to advoid getting mixed up with straght blade devices and i did check the codes i know they dont allow it on straght blades on dimmer circuit but say noting about using twist lock.

if the code do show please do post it here

many thanks for your time

Merci , Marc

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

I
Marc it may be a violation of 404.14(E)

(E) Dimmer Switches. General-use dimmer switches shall be used only to control permanently installed incandescent luminaires (lighting fixtures) unless listed for the control of other loads and installed accordingly.

I think it is Leviton that makes a special purpose outlet for this kind of application.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
M
I ran into this issue a few months back when a customer wanted dimmable under cabinet lighting. 406.3(F) says that if you start changing voltages, frequencies, etc. you need to use a unique plug so that other devices can’t be used, for obvious reasons. My initial thought was to use a twist-lock or some other NEMA configuration that no one would ever find on a household appliance. I wasn’t too keen on that idea and a bit more investigating brought me to 404.14(E) says that dimmers can only be use for permanently installed fixtures unless listed otherwise.

The answer is comes from Lutron, which makes a dimmer/receptacle combo. The receptacle looks like your ordinary 5-20R but it has a little “bump” between the flat blades, which prevents use by anything but their plugs.

They’re not cheap and it was more than this customer wanted to spend. Apparently her cousin had dimmed his lights for $20. Okay, what's next.
http://www.lutron.com/pdfspecs/novatb.pdf

F
Thanks Bob and Mike for pointing it out with perment mounted lumiaires with dimmers devices

Merci, Marc

sorry for delay to repsonde here i got busy for while

Pas de problme,il marche n'est-ce pas?"(No problem, it works doesn't it?)

C
I've seen crystal chandeliers in a huge mansion plugged into (discreet) dimmer-controlled receptacles in a beamed ceiling... Granted, these were about 18' above the floor... Is that still a problem though?

S
The X-10, Insteon, and Radio-RA systems all have listed "lamp dimmers" that plug into a standard receptacle, have provide a receptacle for plugging in a standard lamp cord. There are also plug-in dimmers that are locally controlled. These all provide solutions for plug-in lamps. Although, I don't know if any are designed for low-voltage lighting--I suspect not. For that, I think you're pretty much stuck with the Lutron dimmer/receptacle setup if you need a listed and NEC-compliant solution. If the AHJ is OK with a common-sense approach, I'd think any low-voltage dimmer in conjunction with either a twist-lock or Lutron receptacle would be a safe way to do things.

On the other hand, for undercabinet strip lighting, my approach, if possible, would be to replace the plug-and-cord connected lights with hard-wired fixtures, thereby eliminating a whole host of issues.

[This message has been edited by SolarPowered (edited 02-08-2006).]

Link Copied to Clipboard