ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#61831 02/02/06 11:54 PM
N
nov Offline OP
I need to get power out to a pole sign in front of a bussiness. The sign and two parking lot lights were feed from an under ground pipe run that was crushed or broken years ago. Owner who is a friend of mine does not want to cut the concrete and have to patch it. I was think of going over head with triplex. It is only about 25-30 feet from the building. Would this be the way to go or sould I tell him that he has to cut the pavement. I have never done a I set up like this over head. If it was not a friend I would suggest someone else, I still may do that though.

R
If he wants to spend the money you do a directional bore underground where the asphalt/pavement wouldn't be disturbed. Around here most companies that sub that type of work charge $10/foot or a $400 minimum. They even install a pull string for us in the pipe.

This is assuming you have some sort of grass or dirt area for them to bore to and from

[This message has been edited by Rich R (edited 02-03-2006).]

N
nov Offline OP
no grass or dirt
concrete and pavement all the way

M
If he wants the ulginess of OH wires, you can do that. I've run a few OH spans, but they were all with the help of a lineman friend of mine. He had the tools, mainly the Klein cable grip, and a truck full of preforms, insulators, tree standoffs, etc. I ran pipe up to weather heads on both ends of the drops, and we used crimps as open air splices. Remember taht you shouldn't use the bare messenger cable as neutral, it will be your ground.

L
I dont see what the big deal is about cutting and patching 25' of concrete. Ever see the little trenching shovels that are only like 2" wide? Thats what Id use. A 3" cut is not going to be hard to patch.

C
rent a gas saw with concrete blade. zip 2 lines, chip out. then take large hilti hammer drill, and dig trench. done..
you already knew that though.

Just wait 'till the first tall vehicle comes thru and snags the overhead, pulling down the drop and possibly the sign. [Linked Image]

C'mon, I've cut 30' plus to drop in pipe before, it's not a big deal. [Linked Image]

Some city sign ordinances may not allow an overhead feed anyway.

Stupid should be painful.

Link Copied to Clipboard