ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
R
Redsy Offline OP
A 320-amp residential meter feeds 2 150-amp service panels with 2 piecse of 2/0 SEU.
At the meter, each SEU is connected as Black=L1 and Red=L2. At the main CBs, each are connected as Red=L1 and Black=L2.
Although this seems OK, it just doesn't sit well with me.
On the other hand, it doesnt seem any different than randomly connecting a 240-volt load with no consideration to polarity.

P
I can't see it being a problem. At least there's still consistency between the two panels, i.e. L1 in one panel is on the same leg of the supply as L1 in the other panel.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 02-02-2006).]

W
It's okay to swap the supply legs if the receptacles are ground up. [Linked Image]

-Jon

P
Don't you mean if they're ground down?

{Runs for cover.....} [Linked Image]

it doesnt seem any different than randomly connecting a 240-volt load with no consideration to polarity.

Not that this would affect your specific case, but thinking about it some more, it seems that in the past such a random connection would not have been to code. From the 1971 NEC:

210-5(c) Ungrounded conductor. {.....} All ungrounded conductors of the same color shall be connected to the same ungrounded feeder conductor and the conductors for systems of different voltages shall be different colors.

So presumably at that time, if you had black and red on the incoming feeder to the panel, you would then be required to match up your blacks and reds correspondingly on 240V branch circuits.

There seems to be no equivalent stipulation in the '02 NEC. In fact I can't even see anything which suggests matching colors on 3-phase anymore. Does that mean that however confusing it might be, it would now be to code to use black/red/blue for A/B/C at one point and then switch to blue/black/red or some other order elsewhere? [Linked Image]

M
I would say it makes no real differece. I would keep L1 to L1 and L2 to L2 just for workmanship. Because the two are not what I would consider truely phased in the commercial sence they are 180 degrees out of phase with each other. The phasing is generated by the transformer not the utility. So in reality switching them would pose no issue in residential applications.

E
e57 Offline
I would change them to be all the same straight through. Down the line, if someone has to troubleshoot they could be cursing your name.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason

Link Copied to Clipboard