ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#6166 12/24/01 01:12 PM
S
I perform electrical maintenance at a large commercial site for a subcontractor. I was told to move some EMT going to a small contactor box to the side so that a wall could be put up. The client asked me to hurry and not to worry about appearance because the wall would hide the box. To make a long story short to do this I ended up having to slightly distort the top of the box to make the conduit line up. My jerk boss doesn't like me and filed a discipline report stating "willful destruction of property". Question, is there any NEC or other rules that govern this very slight distortion of an electrical box?
Don

#6167 12/24/01 01:35 PM
A
Physical damage plays a large role into the NEC. One that comes to mind off the top of my head is. (110.12) Electrical equipment shall be installed in a neat and workman like manner.

#6168 12/24/01 02:00 PM
S
I know, it bothered me to do it that way too. But as I said, I was hurried and the client said he didn't care about the appearance. Also, it was already somewhat distorted by the guy before me, probabaly because he also had clearance problems too. I won't let them hurry me again like that but for now it's more of the problem of whether I actually violated code.
Don

#6169 12/24/01 02:20 PM
A
I don't think you have a leg to stand on. Sorry. (110.12)(C). read it...I can't seem to find it, but at one time there was a section in the code where, and I can't quote it, Stated these rules shall be followed regardless of time, cost, or being efficient. (We are the professionals in our trade not the customers.)

#6170 12/24/01 02:29 PM
http://www.osha-slc.gov/OshDoc/Fact_data/FSNO95-44.html

Sounds like a possible lost equipment grounding conductor!

Turn the boss into OSHA using their Hot Line above. You can always cite Section 110-3(a)8 in the NEC as well.

You too, should have stopped doing what could be considered illegal if you are a qualified person as defined in the NEC. I believe the Judge and Jury would find you at fault though if there was an accident that could be associated with the lack of concern for the safety of others.

Let the ECHO chime in next!

Joe Tedesco, NEC Consultant
#6171 12/24/01 02:41 PM
S
You're right, that's a lesson hard learned. My boss likes to keep everyone on edge about their jobs and what I didn't agree with was the phase "willful destruction". I only had to "muscle" the EMT about 1/2" and I don't think I added significantly to the distortion of the box. But I didn't feel good about the results either. I should have insisted on changing out the encloser or getting my supervisor to sign off on the existing damage. One lesson I won't forget.
Don

#6172 12/24/01 05:11 PM
"Contactor box", and "hidden by the wall" sound a little scary.
Is there still a proper working clearance in front of the box?? (Good old NEC110.26 again)
If not it has to be relocated (again) anyway or the wall has to be moved.
Your boss sounds like a %$^@*~.

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 12-24-2001).]

#6173 12/24/01 08:40 PM
S
The clearance is questionable. The wall is right next to the box and the door opens away form the wall which makes it even worse. The wall was added after my work and since my supervisor is the Electrical Administrator he is responsible for bringing things like that up. As to my boss.......
he was a Chief on a Navy submarine and I am sure the phase "I am God" is close to the surface of his mind. He really likes it when everyone trembles in his presense. I am looking for something else ASAP so I hope I don't have to deal with him much longer.
Don

Link Copied to Clipboard