ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#61666 01/31/06 02:13 PM
F
frankft Offline OP
I had a inspector tell me that GFCI's were only listed to protect 3 to 5 outlets down stream depending on the make of the GFCI. Does anybody know where there is any listing dealing with the amount of downstream outlets allowed? I use P & S gfci's. Thanks

Thats how we do it up in the woods!
#61667 01/31/06 03:23 PM
R
The only limitation would be the manufactures instructions.

There is no listing directly limiting the amount of down stream devices.

Roger

#61668 01/31/06 04:45 PM
F
frankft Offline OP
I got this from the P & S website.
this is off our website in the knowledge center under FAQ's

Q: How many receptacles can be installed and
protected on the load side a Pass & Seymour/Legrand
GFCI?

A: The number of receptacles installed downstream
of a GFCI will be determined by the size of the
branch circuit and the estimated load. It is not
uncommon to have four to six receptacles being
protected downstream from a GFCI.

Its not any help to me. I also read the instructions, nothing in there either.

#61669 01/31/06 05:15 PM
L
"I had a inspector tell me that GFCI's were only listed to protect 3 to 5 outlets down stream depending on the make of the GFCI."

I'd ask the inspector to show this limitation to you.

The quantity of receptacles is incidental to a circuit's loading. Additionally, even 15-amp GFCI receptacles are rated for 20-amps feed-through.

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 01-31-2006).]

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
#61670 01/31/06 06:46 PM
R
If there were such a listing, don't you think it would say 3? or 4? or 5? Not 3-5 or something around that many, give or take two or three.

I don't buy this for a second.

Ryan Jackson,
Salt Lake City
#61671 01/31/06 07:31 PM
R
Frank,
Its not any help to me. I also read the instructions, nothing in there either.
that is your answer, they don't have a limit.

The inspector is mistaken.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 01-31-2006).]

#61672 01/31/06 08:25 PM
F
frankft Offline OP
Thanks for the replys, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something.

#61673 02/01/06 06:00 PM
Tom Offline
There is no limit placed, by the listing agency, on the number of downstream receptacles.

Ground-fault Circuit Interrupters

Guide Information for Electrical Equipment for Use in Ordinary Locations

GENERAL

This category covers ground-fault circuit interrupters (GFCI) for use in accordance with ANSI/NFPA 70, "National Electrical Code" (NEC).

A GFCI is a device whose function is to interrupt the electric circuit to the load when a fault current to ground exceeds some predetermined value that is less than that required to operate the overcurrent protective device of the circuit.

A GFCI is intended to be used only in a circuit where one of the conductors is solidly grounded.

Class A GFCIs trip when the current to ground has a value in the range of 4 through 6 mA. Class A GFCIs are suitable for use in branch and feeder circuits, including swimming pool circuits. However, swimming pool circuits installed before local adoption of the 1965 NEC may include sufficient leakage current to cause a Class A GFCI to trip.

Class B GFCIs trip when the current to ground exceeds 20 mA. These devices are suitable for use with underwater swimming pool luminaires installed before the adoption of the 1965 NEC.

A GFCI of the enclosed type that has not been found suitable for use where it will be exposed to rain is so marked.

A receptacle type GFCI installed in wet locations is intended to be installed with an enclosure that is weatherproof, whether or not the attachment plug cap is inserted.

The "TEST" and "RESET" buttons on the GFCIs are only intended to check for the proper functioning of the GFCI. They are not intended to be used as "ON/OFF" controls of motors or other loads unless the buttons are specifically marked "ON" and "OFF." Products with "ON" and "OFF" markings have been additionally Listed under Motor Controllers, Mechanically-operated and Solid-state (NMFT).

Some GFCIs include receptacles, and are intended to be installed in an enclosure similar to a conventional receptacle. Receptacle type GFCIs may have been additionally found to meet appropriate requirements and are marked "hospital grade" and/or "CO/ALR." See Receptacles for Plugs and Attachment Plugs (RTRT) for further information.

REBUILT PRODUCTS

This category also covers rebuilt or refurbished portable GFCIs. These are factory rebuilt to the extent necessary to replace components such as cords, plugs or cord connectors. Rebuilt GFCIs are subject to the same requirements as new GFCIs.

ADDITIONAL INFORMATION

For additional information, see Electrical Equipment for Use in Ordinary Locations (AALZ).

REQUIREMENTS

The basic standard used to investigate products in this category is ANSI/UL 943, "Ground-Fault Circuit-Interrupters."

UL MARK

The Listing Mark of Underwriters Laboratories Inc. on the product is the only method provided by UL to identify products manufactured under its Listing and Follow-Up Service. The Listing Mark for these products includes the UL symbol (as illustrated in the Introduction of this Directory) together with the word "LISTED," a control number, and the product name "Ground-fault Circuit Interrupter."

For rebuilt products the word "Rebuilt" or "Refurbished" precedes the product name.

"Reprinted from the Online Certifications Directory with permission from Underwriters Laboratories Inc."

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 02-01-2006).]

[This message has been edited by Tom (edited 02-01-2006).]

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Link Copied to Clipboard