ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 271 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
L
LK Offline
If it is the 2ft and not 2" then Larry Fine's
dwg will work just fine, and no problem getting canopy cover on, the thing that threw me off was no canopy cover.

Grover Offline OP
Thanks for all the responses gang!

I like Larry's solution.... It is first floor - 10 foot room with 2 foot dropped tiles (sorry I used the ' instead of foot - it does look a lot like " when I'm tired!). I've done the basement thing before - troffers and damn near 0 clearance.... Of course, I don't want to support the weight on the t-bar, and can get up to the flooring timbers above for a real anchor. Getting the fan box down to tile level solves the canopy problem as well.

Now, if Larry can come up with a mfg. and part no., I'll see if I can get a couple of them up here in the woods of Maine <grin>. Supply house(s) in Portland are co-operative, but lots of shipping, special order, no return stuff.....

I think I'll take care of a few of the flying splices while I'm at it - we see some amazing things up here! Maybe take a photo to stir up some discussion! Found some zip cord running out of an outlet, up behind 3/4 inch v-match paneling, along under crown moulding, thru a wall to feed a hall light.

Carpenter installed new water heater at owner's request, then asked me how full it needed to be before he turned on the breaker...... Breakers were "locked out" with silver lockout tape at panel and at heater location. New top element solved that problem.......

[This message has been edited by grover (edited 01-28-2006).]

L
I'll run out to my storage shed tomorrow and check the box for a part number. Be sure to remind me.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
Grover Offline OP
Thanks Larry - I'll be watching.....

M
Since you are only 2 " from a structural wood ceiling, why don't you lag on some additional wood to the existing ceiling as a furring method and then attach your box to that?

M
Whoops, I turned 2' into 2" also. In the 2' scenereo, you can use a threaded rod screw in hanger, (3/8") and a piece of 3/8" rod down to your fan rated box. That caddy bar is the bomb also for the sway.

Grover Offline OP
Does anyone have a part # for the Caddy? I assume it works to stop sway and torque, but Google doesn't get me anywhere.... I need to order them tomorrow - can take a week to get a special order up here.....

Thanks.

C

Curt Swartz
S
Thats it caselec, I've used these in a commercial bldg and they work fine. I used T-Bar wire instead of chain though, it is more stable that way.

Grover Offline OP
Got it! Thanks guys! I'll be on the phone to my supply house firts thing in the AM. I've hung a lot of troffers in commercial when I was in San Jose, but now it mostly resi here in Maine....

Agree about the wire too....

Grov

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard