ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (ale348), 302 guests, and 14 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
sponge Offline OP
Has anyone used these before ? http://www.ecmweb.com/news/electric_nonmetallic_cable_splice/index.html

Today I watched one of our jouneyman install these on a 12/2 cable. Then I was asked to connect some more. I cannot believe these things are UL approved for residential in wall splicing! The only thing connecting each conductor was a flimsy thin looking "U" shaped piece of metal that the conductor gets pushed into. I actually felt guilty leaving the job knowing that these inferior connections were left inside our trusting customers walls. After telling the boss my concerns he just said: They are code complient... If I was running the show I would have said NO WAY - do it right! Anyone else use these before and what is your opinion regarding them?

(edited to activate the link the link)

[This message has been edited by electure (edited 01-25-2006).]

L
Well, I confess to being partly guilty. I used the T-shaped one on the right to tap onto an existing 14-2 run to add an inwall receptacle behind a plasma TV.

One major difference in our uses, to me anyway, is that the junction is under the house, where it's exposed, and that the load is no more than about 2 amps.

I looked over the device carefully before deciding to use it, and consider it adequate for the job. Each conductor's connection is actually two points of contact.

The cost is about equal to two J-boxes and wirenuts ($6 range), it was easy to do hot, and took less than 10 minutes. I consider this to be safe and legal.

I say two J-boxes, because there was little slack in the tapped run, which means I would have had to use two boxes and a 2-foot piece of NM between them, and 6 joints.

[Linked Image from industryclick.com]

Edit: By the way, there is no mention of in-wall (inaccessible) use of the device in the article.

[This message has been edited by Larry Fine (edited 01-25-2006).]

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
W
I have no comment on the connectors but why would you need to splice NM in a wall?? Is that expensive now that you couldn't use a longer piece to get where you needed to go??

L
Is that expensive now that you couldn't use a longer piece to get where you needed to go??
That's not as funny as it used to be.

Larry Fine
Fine Electric Co.
fineelectricco.com
T
IMHO you're confusing UL approval with code compliance.

Dave

Cat Servant
I seem to recall the NEC saying all splices will be in junction boxes- period. I am also sure thet UL would not list something for use contrary to the NEC.

Now, there is some "wiggle room" in the code as it's applied to manufactured homes; perhaps that is where these connectors are approved for use.

Perhaps we need to quiz UL as to these connectors, and the details of the listing. I know we have several IAEI members out there- perhaps one of you can ask the UL guy at the next meeting?

E
e57 Offline
The items on page 27-28

Some of the lit. says it complys with this code...

334.40(B) Devices of Insulating Material. Switch, outlet, and tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and fished. Openings in such devices shall form a close fit around the outer covering of the cable, and the device shall fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of the covering has been removed. Where connections to conductors are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available as many terminals as conductors.

IMO they are bogus! (due to insulation piercing, a born failure...) However it they were mechanical and soldered perminant, or even exothermicaly welded, I might be OK with that.... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
D
I'm currently working on some modular t-houses. The manufacturer's rep was there one day and I asked him if those were rated to be concealed and he assured me they are.These had screw terminals though.

O
My only expierience with these connectors was a home that caught on fire.
They remind me of those moba home cut in switches and receptacles.
The world would be a better place with out them.
Each time I see a fire truck on its way to a fire I sometimes think of those connectors.

S
sponge Offline OP
Is that expensive now that you couldn't use a longer piece to get where you needed to go??

A second floor wall in a three story finished house was being removed. Several switch points coming from various locations were moved 5' over to the closest wall. It was one of those situations where extensive wall tearout would have been required to do the job right. I have read about these somewhere before and recall some fuss about their use in concealed walls. It would be very interesting to corner the UL people about these.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard