ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 558 guests, and 29 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
There you go again with the common sense, Bob [Linked Image]

Don't those work alot like the pre-fab connectors on office furniture partitions? (minus the romex) I've come across those burnt up before as well....

A
I talked with the manufacturer of these a couple of years ago, they said that the splice/tap connectors are designed to be used ONLY where they will remain accessible.

The advantage is being able to tap off an existing cable w/o using two boxes (there is never enough slack).

I've had situations where being able to splice or tap at a point that will be inaccessible would have saved a ton of time and money, but that's the breaks.

Cliff

H
as e57 points out:

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
334.40(B) Devices of Insulating Material. Switch, outlet, and tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and fished. Openings in such devices shall form a close fit around the outer covering of the cable, and the device shall fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of the covering has been removed. Where connections to conductors are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available as many terminals as conductors.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

it says the cable has to be exposed or can be "concealed and fished. seems to me if it is fished, it would still be accessible as it could be fished back out without removing any portion of the walls or ceiling. I read this as not being allowed to be stapled in place and drywalled over. And as gfretwell points out, it is for manufactured homes only.

I
And as gfretwell points out, it is for manufactured homes only.

334.40(B) applies to all occupancies, not just manufactured homes.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
G
The real question is how are they listed.

Greg Fretwell
I
I looked up the listings, all it says is install per the NEC.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
A
The connectors I checked on were manufactured by Molex of Pinellas Park FL, UL listed # E182087. This brand is restricted to prefabricated / modular structures and homes.
They are not permitted with site built homes.
I recommend checking UL at their web for limits on the use of any other brand.

Alan--
If it was easy, anyone could do it.
I
Alan using your listing number we end up at this UL page

Nonmetallic Sheathed Cable Interconnectors

Which says in part.

This forms a contained product for component interconnections for use in exposed or concealed locations in accordance with the National Electrical Code (NEC), ANSI/NFPA-70, Article 545, Manufactured Buildings; Article 550, Mobile Homes; Article 551, Recreational Vehicles And Recreational Vehicle Parks, and for tap devices in accordance with Article 336, Nonmetallic-Sheathed Cable: Types NM, NMC, and NMS.

This page was written based on the 1999 NEC and is referring to the tap devices listed in 336-21

1999 NEC
336-21. Devices of Insulating Material
Switch, outlet, and tap devices of insulating material shall be permitted to be used without boxes in exposed cable wiring and for rewiring in existing buildings where the cable is concealed and fished. Openings in such devices shall form a close fit around the outer covering of the cable and the device shall fully enclose the part of the cable from which any part of the covering has been removed.
Where connections to conductors are by binding-screw terminals, there shall be available as many terminals as conductors.

If you do not think those Molex connectors you called out are what 1999 336-21 or 2002 334.40(B) are referring to what tap device do you think the NEC is referring to?

I am not a fan of these and have not used them, but I am confident they can be used in 'normal' dwellings.

Bob

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 01-31-2006).]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
I
By the way Molex makes straight 'one for one' connectors and a Tap connectors.

That UL page I linked to seems to say that the only the tap connectors can be used in 'normal' homes.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard