ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#6133 12/23/01 08:51 PM
C
ccmann Offline OP
Should someone have told the guy (Adapting light fixture) why he could not do it. or maybe direct him to a site that would answer his question. Sort of rude, to have locked his subject, don't you think...

#6134 12/23/01 10:09 PM
A
ccmann,

I may be mistaken, but I thought that this is a forum for people working in the trade, or at least knowledgeable about the basics of electrical wiring.

Consequently, this is not a good place to come for info that's available from any number of DIY electrical wiring books and at least one website (doityourself.com).

Maybe the response was a bit abrupt, but you'll notice that no one else has responded.

Cliff

#6135 12/23/01 11:03 PM
ccmann,

FYI that was the second post. The first was removed with an explanation given to him as to why it was inapropriate here and he chose to post it a second time.

[This message has been edited by Bill Addiss (edited 12-23-2001).]

Bill
#6136 12/24/01 08:35 AM
I answered the Q in what I considered to be the safest response for him. His plan was loaded with safety hazards and Code violations. Any answer trying to correct it could be taken out of context as an OK to go ahead with another part, whereas the whole idea should be abandoned.
He needs to seek the help (not just the advice) of a professional.

Rude would be to help him burn down his house by helping him carry out his idea!

#6137 12/24/01 12:04 PM
Tom Offline
There is another board that I frequent that is also for people in the trade & it is clearly stated as such before you can reach the bulletin board. On that board, amateur quaestions, when detected as such, are usually ignored & once in a great while semi-flamed.

I've got nothing against amateurs doing their own work & seeking advice in the proper forum. I also visit a board aimed at amatuers. After all, most of them will proceed regardless of how well informed they are & I'd like to see them armed with some sound advice.

Tom

Few things are harder to put up with than the annoyance of a good example.

Link Copied to Clipboard