ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 516 guests, and 17 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
WFO Offline
Quote:
"Of course, in my case the biggest problem the POCO would have is keeping me out of the SCADA system!! I love to watch air break switches in action! "

Which is exactly why I've never let our company's SCADA system get incorporated into the company LAN.

In all seriousness, I hope you would never let an "urge" endanger a linemans' life.

Oops, I hit a landmine with that one. Let me clarify that to mean in the context of it being a substation serving ONLY my own house, like the Dell dudes'. [Linked Image]

Some years ago in the Air Force I took the lineman's CDC (Career Developement Course) and exams to see how I'd fare. Passed with score of 86.

I had actually considered becoming a lineman, but I didn't because I can't stand heights. (Makes climbing and bucket work impractical.)

Working around high voltage doesn't really bother me (I did make contact with a live 12kv padmount switch, wearing all appropriate PPE thanks to a really cool foreman I knew), and have a facination with power equipment in general. I told the foreman, half-joking, that if I came upon a transformer fire, I'd probably bring out the hot dogs and 'smores. [Linked Image]

Seriously, I've also been too close to some rather violent equipment failures to actually try such a thing. My very first encounter was when a pole-mount tx got hit by lightning as I rode by on my bicycle. My friend and I both got knocked on our little butts and had nightmares for weeks. I was around 7.

Stupid should be painful.
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard