ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#61156 01/17/06 11:29 PM
J
Jps1006 Offline OP
Before I get to the above topic......
As of 1/1/06 I went from a 1 man 1 truck show that regularly subs back & forth with my brother's 1 man 1 truck show, and added 2 more men and 2 more trucks. It was an oppurtunity I couldn't pass up. These 2 men & trucks came with little overhead, work already sold, existing customer base, and a great attitude to make this thing work. I would not have had the confidence to think I could make it work without all I have picked up here. I can't agree more with the guys that keep pounding it in "It doesn't matter what other guys charge.... you need to figure out what you cost, and charge accordingly" My days of determining how this business is going by seeing how much money is in the check register is over. I have picked up some real usable and implimentable tools from here (for a lot less than $20,000). So Thanks to all you experts (business and code) who probably will never know how many people and to what extent your addiction is helping people.

To the topic:
I am thinking about weekly meetings between the three of us to stay on the same page with jobs and goals etc. This is an owner-employee relationship. Please don't mind me posting in the general forum, I was hoping to get owner and employee input.

How often do you guys have meetings?

Who attends?

What topics are usually covered?

Where do you meet?

Does it seem to be worth while or waste of time?

#61157 01/18/06 12:10 AM
E
e57 Offline
In California, Safety meetings are required by law. Not that everyone does them..... But for those who do that is usually a few minutes right off the bat. After that, current projects, scheduling, some code talk, inspectors to be wary of, then some good ol' brow beating about paperwork. A shop I used to work in, it would often turn into a gun show and talk about range scores, until the boss realized it was his dime, then he would put the guns away.... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#61158 01/18/06 12:17 AM
J
I work for a medium sized company with 14 guys on the road, 3 project managers, 1 operations/service/install manager. We have bi-weekly meetings with the owner to review any problems we may be having with ongoing jobs, but it also allows the techs to fill each other in on what is going one, we have 3 guys that are full time service so they like to know when we are doing an install that isn't a run of the mill job, or if we are starting to install a new product. We used to have monthly meetings at the local IHOP, which was picked up by the owner. It was a nice relaxed environment and it made the guys feel appreciated, it showed that the company cared about us both as employees but also as people, and if there is a free breakfast involved who is going to blow off a meeting?

#61159 01/18/06 09:54 AM
M
One thing I learned early on as a Safety Director with an E/C is something called employee empowerment and ownership of the product. The more control or input that an employee feels that they have within their workplace the more productive and compliant an employee will be. These type of meetings permote just that. Another great word of advice that my current Director of Operations gave me when relating to employees and specificaly compensation is " Always remember that pigs get fat and hogs get slaughtered so lets all just get fat togather"

#61160 01/18/06 03:16 PM
T
We have meetings about every 3 months. That amount of time seems about right to me. Possible every 2 months would be better.

Depending on the subject matter its ussually the whole company otherwise its just crew leaders.

Topics ussually include how much work we have. We also go through each crew and they get notified what their profit is, if its up or down and by what percentage.

Then the topics varys to whatevers on the boss's or our minds. Last meeting included, dress code, supply house orders, quality issues, beginning of the year profit, insurance changes, w2's,.. bunch of other little stuff.

A basic summary of all this is printed and passed out at the beginning of the meeting.

We meet at a storage, boss's house, or jobsite.

Its worth while if theres a topic. Every 3 months seems right because theres sure to be some topic that needs addressing.

Our company is midsize about 15 guys. Residential.

Shake n Bake
#61161 01/18/06 06:24 PM
S
I've been an electrician for 15 years, non-union, and I am employed by a small company in New Jersey. I've also learned a whole lot since coming to ECN. Business, electricial theory, code, etc.

How often do you guys have meetings?

We don't. The only meetings we have are early in the morning and usually only when someone (anyone) screws up a job that costs the company money. Even the most experienced guys make mistakes. Although our company has just made an office space for future meetings may take place.
---------------

Who attends?

All 4 employees, and the 2 partners who run the company.
---------------

What topics are usually covered?

Usually stupid stuff, like: "don't use the customers bathroom if you're not going to flush the toilet" and "the outlet for A/C condensor equipment MUST BE within 25' of the unit and on the same level as the unit. Also, PAPERWORK! PAPERWORK! PAPERWORK!. My boss stresses the importance of paperwork constantly and although I get tired of hearing about it, I know he is right, and one day it'll pay off when I'm working for myself.
---------------

Where do you meet?

Downstairs in the shop and always in the morning. Very seldom is my boss angry at us in the evening, but seems like he's always angry at us in the morning, no matter what!
---------------

Does it seem to be worth while or waste of time?

If I was between the ages of 18-28 it would seem like a waste of time. But knowing what I know now I understand that it isn't a waste of time. Maybe if someone thinks it's a waste of time, maybe they're wasting your time. JMO.

#61162 01/18/06 09:53 PM
S
We hold "safety" meetings every week on Friday morning before we all head out for the day. I use the term safety pretty loosely. We all sign the sign in sheet for it so I guess thats all that matters. We also talk about any host of other topics, benefits, trucks, tools, paperwork, or what ever else is a hot topic. usually the meeting disenagrates into a bunch of locker room talk, and some gives us the off color joke of the week. They are extremely fun but I don't know how productive they really are.

#61163 01/18/06 10:22 PM
J
Jps1006 Offline OP
Great replies guys. Thanks for your thoroughness and candidness. I will certainly come back to this tread as I chew on it some more. Thanks again.

Link Copied to Clipboard