ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 381 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#61140 01/17/06 05:14 PM
N
Installing a 400A CT which is tapped out of a Trough feeding 3 other services (wireless telecom site - each carrier has a trailer).
The trough is fed UG from a pole mounted transformer.

PoCo (JCPL in North NJ) is requiring a 400A disconnect ahead of the CT cabinet so they can work on CT's without shutting off service to the whole site.

I explained that the other services all have 8hr of battery backup (which is true) and shutdown would not effect them. Yet they still insist on the 400A Non-Fused Disc.

It burns me because its not outlined in their Electrical Service Manual and the fact that it is being installed for their convenience. I assume they will be sealing it themselves to prevent tapping unmetered.

Has anyone run into this or similar?

S
Cold sequence for a CT cabinet is required by my local POCO also. They want the option to kill the power for servicing...

shortcircuit

NJ:
JCP&L & PSE&G require cold sequence in 'certain' installs. It's always a "GOOD POLICY" to speak to the wiring inspector/field engineer before you do any job.

Yes, they have requirements for the 'main' enclosure to be sealable, as it is ahead of the meter, and can be considered 'access' to unmetered power.

John

John

Link Copied to Clipboard