ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E
edman78 Offline OP
First off hello I'm new here. I gave a customer a quote of $225 to do this:

1.Mount 2 new exterior light fixtures one above the garage and one next to a door. The one needs a line ran and and a switch, the other is just a swap out.

2.Run new line to kitchen counter gfi
3.Run new line to island in kitchen and put in a gfi.

She didn't like the quote of $225 and said "geez don't kill me" haha so i got soft and said ok $200 she said ok.

How much would u charge?

Hi Edman78,

I'm not running my own business here, but it sounds a little cheap to me. How long you figuring this to take you, and what's your time worth?

Radar

There are 10 types of people. Those who know binary, and those who don't.
S
Remove and replace 1 outside coach lamp: $35

Cut-in, wire, and install 1 sp switch and 1 exterior coach lamp: $70

Cut-in, wire, and install 1 dedicated 20amp/ 120vac circuit to kitchen countertop and install 1 GFCI receptacle: $125

Cut-in, wire, and install 1 dedicated 20amp/ 120vac circuit to kitchen island and install 1 GFCI receptacle: $125

Ballpark figure: $355

E
edman78 Offline OP
shockme

E
edman78 Offline OP
oops,

shockme77 sounds like i under cut my work big time.

The lady is real nice to me and she is spreading the word about my work already so It's not so bad I guess. I don't have alot of work this week also so I'll take the hit this time.

S
Also it depends on the conditions that you have to work with. Open basement with no clutter would be the easiest. Anything other than that the price will go up. Hey just my 2 cents.

C
Remove and replace 1 outside coach lamp: $75

Cut-in, wire, and install 1 sp switch and 1 exterior coach lamp: $150

Cut-in, wire, and install 1 dedicated 20amp/ 120vac circuit to kitchen countertop and install 1 GFCI receptacle: $250

Cut-in, wire, and install 1 dedicated 20amp/ 120vac circuit to kitchen island and install 1 GFCI receptacle: $200

Ballpark figure: $675 + PERMITS (appx. $45)

Then again, this is in NJ, and in MY area most homes are between 20 and 80 years old.

~~ CELTIC ~~
...-= NJ =-...
P
1.replace existing fixture............37.00
install new fixture and switch fed
from existing circuit.............169.00
2.install 1) 120v 20a circuit and
1)GFCI recept at kitchen counter...149.00
3.install 1) 120v 20a circuit and
1) GFCI recept at kitchen island...149.00

A
To many unknowns for me to quote.
Are you cutting in a GFI in the island too?
Anyways it sounds way too low.
I would say more then $500.

After buying matreials, fuel in the truck, and a bit more OH there would be nothing left for the worker. My guess is it would take at least a half day.

"The lady is real nice to me and she is spreading the word about my work already so It's not so bad I guess."

Be carefull with this atitude. What kind of word is she spreading about you? That you are way low in price. Or that you give in on your first quote to a lesser amount by complaining about the price. The idea of giving work away at below cost as advertising may not get you the customers you want.

I remember an auto shop that would give away oil changes at material cost to get more customers because they were slow. This would bring in a lot of the customers that were very cheap with their money and not great for the business. One day the owner got rid of the free coffee pots and found a used pay coffee machine. He said he could not afford to keep buying all the free coffee. So I said "you opened an auto shop to give away repair work but sell coffee?"

Tom

E
e57 Offline
Thier cost of material $200.... Labor $500, $800... Or more. (Depending, lot of variables)

T&M $75-125+ an hour... (Depending on who you call.)

Then again, thats here.... Where you are (regionaly/localy) may be completely different. All the things that make up profit/loss should determine your price. Here overhead is high, we charge more...

Get a good huff of helium and call around to your direct (In your area) compitition to see what thier T&M hourly rates are. [Linked Image] Base your price on a factor from that, against your operating costs, and what you feel you're worth. By all means, DO NOT UNDER-CUT YOURSELF! (Sorry, just some of my own personal baggage... [Linked Image] )

Anyway welcome to the forum...

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 01-11-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard