ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#60689 01/09/06 01:05 AM
G
One person actually bought one. Even if we get past the stupidity of using this cord, who needs instructions to install 2 plugs, beyond what the manufacturer includes in the box?
Ebay never ceases to amaze me

[This message has been edited by gfretwell (edited 01-09-2006).]

Greg Fretwell
#60690 01/09/06 03:50 AM
S
Actually, if you check out his feedback and click on the item numbers, you will see that he's sold quite a few of them.

I only hope eBay notifies all the purchasers of the dangers involved with this set-up.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
#60691 01/09/06 04:10 AM
T
The name of these cords depends on how they are used.. If the idiot sticks one end in his mouth, and plugs the other end in, then it is a suicide cord.

I he plugs one end into his house, and the other end into his generator, and kills a lineman, then it is called a murder cord..

If the idiot has been previously warned of the dangers of using such a cord, then the murder can be considered premeditated, and the most severe penalty should be imposed.

Here is a copy of the message I sent to the buyer:

You are shown as purchasing instructions for building a 'whole house generatro extention cord' from seller bobhedges.
This cord as shown is more commonly known as a SUICIDE CORD, and the use of such a cord is PROHIBITED IN ALL JURISDICTIONS IN THE US AND CANADA.

If used improperly, this cord can very easily become a MURDER CORD, and can cause SEVERE or FATAL INJURY to utility workers.

There is NO SAFE WAY OF USING THIS CORD. I REPEAT, THERE IS NO SAFE WAY OF USING THIS CORD.

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED. IF YOU USE THIS CORD AND A UTILITY WORKER IS KILLED AS A RESULT OF THAT USE, YOU WILL BE GUILTY OF PREMEDITATED MURDER.

#60692 01/09/06 05:36 AM
I
Pete of course you are correct.

Bob, his name and address are public knowledge, he put it right in the listing.
10 seconds in an internet white pages got his phone number.

I was trying to make it easy for anyone that wanted the info.

I will not post it here at Bill's site.

But I have no problem e-mailing it to anyone.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#60693 01/09/06 06:39 AM
e-bay has some complete idiots as buyers- during Christmas in the UK we saw some idiot bid more for an item at auction than the cost of buying [inc carriage] of an identical item direct, which was advertised on the same page, plus they paid post and packing on top!
What a bargain!

Alan

Wood work but can't!
#60694 01/09/06 10:35 AM
M
Techie: You are indeed correct. This is a case of premeditated murder if someone uses one of these things after being warned of the consequences.

Your e-mail to the buyer is succinct and well stated. It could not be said better. I hope this guy finds some conscious and pulls these horrid things from eBay. I also hope eBay does likewise.

Here is a bizarre thought (not unusual for me [Linked Image]): If someone rigs up one of these cord/generator deathtraps in a house, couldn't it backfeed through the power line, not only to the transformer, but to every other house on that transformer's secondary, PLUS, through the transformer's primary to any other transformers sharing the same primary circuit? Sounds like a bad situation made infinitely worse [Linked Image].

I opt for a proper transfer switch, with proper grounding, and a proper electrician to install it - the cost is negligible compared to other scenarios.

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 01-09-2006).]

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 01-09-2006).]

#60695 01/09/06 11:09 AM
S
It takes 15 pages to explain how to make one of these things up????

How stupid can someone possibly be? [Linked Image]

I also wonder what would happen if you forget to unplug this thing when the mains power is restored.

What's so tough about doing it the right way, even if you D-I-Y??!

[This message has been edited by SvenNYC (edited 01-09-2006).]

#60696 01/09/06 12:02 PM
S
He also neglects to mention not to run the generator indoors. Hopefully eBay takes our complaints seriously.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
#60697 01/09/06 12:13 PM
S
If someone rigs up one of these cord/generator deathtraps in a house, couldn't it backfeed through the power line,

I believe so. That's why these murder-cords are frowned upon.

People forget that transformers can work both ways....

#60698 01/09/06 01:04 PM
J
I am in no way condoning this cord but wouldn't the generator likely trip its own breaker if the unit tried to supply the whole grid. The major problem is if the drop wires to the home with the generator were down in the yard and the lineman picked them up, which I believe I read about happening.

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Link Copied to Clipboard