ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 373 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
S
SvenNYC Offline OP
Wow. Thanks guys.

Wonder where I could buy a male/female set of those scary things...just for old-times sake. LOL

M
You're right on the ticket, mamills. I forgot that there were porcelain verstions for multiple plugs. The last time I saw any of these was about 15 years ago before an old theatre pianoboard was demo-ed.

I've only seen a couple in real life and never had the "pleasure" of touching any that were still in service...

Mike Wescoatt
M
Sven:
Believe it or not, I've actually seen these items pop up once in a while on eBay (after all, doesn't everything in the world eventually end up on eBay?). Look for "stage plug". Perhaps an EC working with a theatrical supply company re-fitting an auditorium or theater might help.

Mike:
When I was living in Denver and in grade school, my elementary and junior high schools used these guys backstage [Linked Image]...yeah, in a school auditorium of all places. They were located in heavy cast-iron floor pockets on each side of the stage - each pocket containing one or two porcelain receptacles, stage plugs, and a short amount of S or SO cable with an ordinary edison connector attached. I was indoctrinated to these things at a REAL early age [Linked Image].

Mike (mamills)

[This message has been edited by mamills (edited 01-05-2006).]

C
I found a version of this picture and managed to lighten it, however it's on a russian cracking site and probably not hot-linkable, any email address I should send to for it to be posted on the ECN server? (the usage probably comes under the fair usage terms for copyright, seeing as it's a discussion about the movie prop [Linked Image] )

I
You can send it to me via the email link [Linked Image] above my post.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
I
[Linked Image]

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
I
Bump

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
That doesn't look like any connector I've seen before... The contacts on the side of the male do look pretty beefy, and I'd guess a rating somewhere around 50A. The female end on that thing looks pretty scary unless there's some kind of shutter system to hide the live contacts...

T
The connector box in his left hand is a receptacle for a 100amp stage plug (paddle).

The plug in his right hand looks like either a 100amp stage plug or a big Mueller clip (jumper cable)..

If it's a stage plug, it has an oversized handle.

As previously mentioned, stage plugs came in two sizes. The full sized 100amp plug, and the 1/2 sized 50 amp plug, which was frequently fused down to 20 or 30 amps.

I may have one of those plugs in my junkbox somewhere.. I'll have to check.

I have seen some 3 pole versions of the stage plug, which was a pentagonal shape, but I have only seen that in one venue.

The other common connectors used in theatre (besides the NEMA and non-NEMA twist-lock connectors) are the stage pin connectors, which come in 20, 30, 60, and 100 amp versions. Also known as Bates connectors.
These have 3 (or sometimes 2 if you find an old one) round pins, unequally spaced in a straight line on a plastic or phenolic block.

These are commonly found in theatres that regularly support road shows, and/or use a lot of rental equipment, as well as on equipment supplied by the rental houses, while NEMA and non-NEMA twistlocks are more frequently found in schools and other facilities that own their own equipment.

T
I found a few photos on ebay.. not the greatest quality when blown up, but they will have to do for now..

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The top picture shows a 4 outlet Mole Box, manufactured by Mole-Richardson. These were normally fed with bundled welding cable.
The next row, and the lower right show a couple variations on a full sized 100amp Mole Plug, also known as a stage plug. These had a couple of different contact arrangements, including the shorter versions shown here, and one with longer contacts (~1.5").

The lower left image shows a 1/2 size Mole Plug. Two of these would fit side by side in a single outlet.

[This message has been edited by Webmaster (edited 01-10-2006).]

[This message has been edited by techie (edited 01-10-2006).]

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard