ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 235 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
spkjpr,
At least there's 2 of us out there. Jim M, we use those as well. I love 'em, and use them on all new installations. I've never thought about using them for a temporary "cut in". I'll keep it in mind the next time we have to do one.

The Watt Doctor
Altura Cogen
Channelview, TX
E
I used to do a lot of residential service changes and my method was to use split bolts, and then call the power company to have them come out and do the permanent splice..and while thay are at it they could re-seal the meter ring.
In the situation that you are describing it sounds like it will be just your baby, so you'll be stuck with split bolts. Just be sure to utilize the separator plate that comes with the split bolt (Ilsco type SK)and cinch it down real good (without stripping the threads!). If this subpanel installation is something you can re-visit once a year for checking the tightening, then you should have no problems.

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
What is your opinions on the use of Ilsco ClearTaps? I have seen them used in some very large commerical installations and they seem to have worked very well. I have also used the Ideal Street Light Connectors for a variety of connections. They are a great way of avoiding bugging or crimping. Especially for instances where the setup is temporary.

E
Haven't had the need to use them, but they look like a real effective labor saver as long as they are in a dry location. Any taps with self insulating design are real time savers!

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard