ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 232 guests, and 12 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
#60462 01/03/06 09:00 PM
M
I would have to agree with iwire also. just use the tool that works for your job, I use my screwdriver for a chisel everyday, or my linemans for a hammer... hey klein will replace them for free anyway, that's why you pay so much for them.. klein tools are made to take the abuse.. It's not like you are using your meter as a hammer (or maybe I will....lol)

#60463 01/03/06 09:24 PM
S
I always use a hammer when driving in a plastic molley anchor. There's always the right tool for the job, and a pair of linemens to drive an anchor isn't it. I am also guilty of using a flathead as a chisel. Sorry, I gotta get done quickly so I can make more money. Simple as that.

#60464 01/03/06 10:02 PM
E
e57 Offline
I'm sure everyone here has a "beater", or other simulary named pointed object that resembels a flat head screwdriver to install lock-nuts... And not the Witte drivers either.

Speedypete beat me to it, that thier is a tool specifically designed for installing lock-nuts. Ironically this tool appeared when the word "Wrenchtight" showed up in the '99 Code. ( I think...) The year the 99 was adopted here, one savy Inspector asked if I had the "wrench" for the lock-nuts. I showed him a small pair of channel locks, he wasn't impressed, he wanted to see the Klien one for lock-nuts. I then told him what I had in my hand was a wrench, and my lock-nuts were "wrench-tight". [Linked Image] And not wanting this to sound like an eastern european joke, but holding the lock-nut and turning the connector instead with pliers until tight, works better IMO.

Then there are these things, which remind me of can openers... http://premiertool.com/id77.htm

For larger ones, someone here uses a hammer-drill, in hammer only mode. I died laughing when I heard it, but have tried it, and it does the trick!

Outside of locknuts, I too use a little creativity for some things, but would not show those under me those tricks.

I also still have a label I made for my DeWalt drill that says, "Not a @#$%^&* hammer you dumb *&^!" After I caught someone using it as one when he borrowed it. That labels been there for about 5 years now, and makes it real easy to spot and identify that drill.
---------------------------------------

Edit to add that the "wrench-tight" conversation answer to the inspector was at the suggestion of one of the members of ECN on the second time I was asked that same qusetion...

[This message has been edited by e57 (edited 01-04-2006).]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#60465 01/03/06 10:05 PM
J
Now I'm having a fond flashback to the 70's when I used my boss' stripper/crimper as an arc welder. He gave it to me as a reminder afterwards. That and I don't think he liked my 11 gauge stripper modification.
Joe

#60466 01/03/06 10:08 PM
E
e57 Offline
My hammer also has a simular label on it...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#60467 01/03/06 10:36 PM
Cat Servant
A few notes about locknuts....

The dedicated Klein tool is only intended for 1/2 and 3/4 nuts....according to Klein- and pretty much self-enforced!

Klein has a little orange book out, about the proper use of hand tools. Guess what? They show their screwdriver being used, with a hammer, to tighten lock-nuts (but don't try to collec on their 'lifetime' warranty after doing so!)

I really like those funky little wrenches, e57....I'll have to get some!

#60468 01/03/06 11:30 PM
E
looks like it might be a good idea to market a chisel that can also be used to drive flat head screws [Linked Image]

my boss has a BIG, hammered to heck, flathead screwdriver that we use to hammer on block/brick, I don't know what brand it is, but even after meeting with a few dozen cinderblocks/bricks and despite the warped and bashed head it somehow manages to turn the screws in the lugs of those 100 amp meter bases

I've also made some "unique gauge" wire strippers on accident

#60469 01/03/06 11:34 PM
E
forgot to add: E57, we've got a pair of those "baby" channel locks and I really doubt that a specialized wrench could get the nuts tighter, especially with the "hold the nut, rotate the fitting" method, plus the channel locks are already a specialized tool, they're meant to tighten nuts, a locknut is a nut that's threaded onto a hollow tube instead of a bolt

#60470 01/04/06 02:04 AM
I Purchase my own hand tools for my pouch. So does everyone else in the company. we also have to buy our own bits, taps, unibits, and other stuff like that. I'll give new guys advice about using their own tools but for the most part if you buy them you respect them or use them how you see best fit.
I carry a "Beater Screwdriver" in my pouch for tightening large locknuts and other uses as a chisel. I use my blue handle (not red) Klein Dikes to cut fish tapes and small screws. But I also carry an odd assortment of tools in my pouch that i dont think most electricians carry, like a scribe, thread file, round file, triangle file, punch, wire brush, and a worn out large screwdriver.
Bottom line is I only jump someone when I see them using a company tool in a way that they wouldn't treat their own tools.
Recently the company started buying drill bits because we do Alot of work with Stinless steel And it griped me at how bits were being used after that.

It's Not The Fall That Kills You...
It's That Sudden Stop At The End
#60471 01/04/06 03:36 AM
S
Bill -

e57 said "Then there are these things, which remind me of can openers... http://premiertool.com/id77.htm

I have the 1/2" set and they work great IMO. I want to get the 3/4" set soon.

Steve

Thanks
Steve
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard