ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#60428 01/02/06 05:36 PM
W
wendel Offline OP
I have a GFCI part I need to replace but it may now be obsolete. It was located in a 120 volt shower recessed light fixture. The GFI device is cylindrical, 3/4" in diameter, 2.5" long with cooling holes on one side. It plugs into the junction box knock-out of the recessed light fixture where it's wired into the light circuit. The leads are black, white and blue in color. I think this was installed around 1989 when the house was built. Can anyone tell me if these devices are still available and what their designation is. Thanks.

E
I have never heard of such an item as a GFCI part. It is most likely a thermal cutout sensor. You will need the name of the manufacturer of the fixture.

L
LK Offline
wendel,

I notice occupation, is missing in your profile, It would be careless on our part to give advice on this issue, That device can be anything from a low voltage relay to an X10 type of device, if you are not sure what you have, it may be best to get an electrician to investigate.

LK is right. Without more information it would be foolhardy and irresponsible for us to give you an answer.
What leads you to believe this is a GFCI device? Is there a label?

G
If it doesn't have a test button it isn't a GFCI device. I am betting for low voltage relay.

Greg Fretwell
N
Perhaps a thermal protector?

W
wendel Offline OP
Thank you for your help. I'm a mechanical engineer by education. I believe it's definitely a thermal protector device since all similar recessed lights are also equipted with this device. My GFI inclination was due to the light's location in the shower and the fact I have worked with recessed lighting that wasn't equipted with those safety devices. The device is malfunctioning and I'm going to replace it. Unfortunately there's no manufacturer's name, only various catalog numbers. I'm sure the local electrical supply house will be able to help me. Thank you again.

Cat Servant
Why fuss over a cheap tin can? Just replace the whole blessed thing.

E
It is genneraly far easier to replace the thermal switch than to replace the can. Especially if it was a new construction can.

W
Sure you're not using a too high wattage light bulb in it? Or maybe there's too much insulation in the ceiling touching it and allowing it to get too hot.

If one will physically fit, a compact florescent bulb may be a solution. Less heat for the same light output.

Link Copied to Clipboard