ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 486 guests, and 11 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#60416 01/03/06 02:12 AM
L
LK Offline
No, i havent used a screw driver for a chisel ever since a mechanic buddy, lost sight from his left eye, and all he could say was, how could i be so stuped.

#60417 01/03/06 09:33 AM
E
C'mon, you guys mean to tell me that you don't pull staples with your diagonals, or chip plaster or lathe with your screwdrivers, when you are doing rehab work.
I certainly do these things. But I do not complain about the poor quality of the tool when I am using it in such a dopey way.

Now just occured to me can anyone reccomend a good car? I have been buying Toyotas but they get all smashed up when I use them for brick wall demo. [Linked Image]

#60418 01/03/06 11:20 AM
Cat Servant
Trumpy- you may not have the selection in the islands that we have here in "the Great Department Store"

A number of companies offer lineman's pliers that have additional features, such as a dedicated crimping die on the handle side of the hinge. This die is use for wires no larger than #10.
I think that's what the man was referring to.

#60419 01/03/06 11:45 AM
I
A number of companies offer lineman's pliers that have additional features, such as a dedicated crimping die on the handle side of the hinge. This die is use for wires no larger than #10.

Strictly speaking we can't use that crimper unless it is listed for the crimps we are crimping.

Take a look at the UL white book

WIRE CONNECTORS AND SOLDERING LUGS (ZMVV)

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS
Use of specific tools — A specific tool and die used to assemble a wire connector to a conductor is identified on the connector, or on or within the unit container of the connector. The identification consists of a catalog or type designation, color coding, die index number, or equivalent means. Color coding of the crimp barrel is common.

This applies to the large crimps like we all expect but it also applies to crimps down to 30 AWG.

[This message has been edited by iwire (edited 01-03-2006).]

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#60420 01/03/06 05:25 PM
D
+1 for the Klein 2000 series "Journeyman" dikes. Great for trimming off the pointy tips of nails that always seem to be where youre box is going, or for trimming can light brackets.

(Of course, I haven't had a chance to play with the Knipex, but, if they're like the other Knipex stuff I've seen, as rated fr\or steel cutting, you'll be OK with either)

#60421 01/03/06 05:37 PM
Reno,
I think that's what the man was referring to.
Yes,
I was also referring to this.
My blue-handled Klein (#12098) lineman's pliers have a sort of a crimping die in them, but we are told here they are only to be used as a last resort.

#60422 01/03/06 08:24 PM
S
When talking about ground crimps, the Ideal crimp sleeves are approved to be crimped with their Linemans. They have the exact same crimper as the Kleins.
The instructions say so.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#60423 01/03/06 08:30 PM
I
Pete does the package of Ideal crimps say that you can use Kliens or is that your opinion based on how they look?

Hey I know this is extreme hog wash but I am just the messenger of the rule we should all be following.

IMO this level of 'listing' is brought on by lawyers and is really unnecessary.

Bob

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
#60424 01/03/06 09:06 PM
E
e57 Offline
"IMO this level of 'listing' is brought on by lawyers and is really unnecessary."

Here I was thinking it was the manufacturers that pushed this tripe, so they can get you to use thier tool for thier product. Not sure about this, but I believe Phillips sold a license to anyone using the phillips design for screws and thier respective drivers in the early days of them. FYI Robertson predates Phillips and both were invented for the auto industry...

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#60425 01/03/06 09:08 PM
I
I really do not know, I was guessing.

You could be right.

Bob Badger
Massachusetts
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard