ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (CoolWill), 250 guests, and 13 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
#6023 12/19/01 10:03 PM
D
donles Offline OP
A client has something similar to rope lighting running in a shallow groove on top of her kitchen cabinets. It's controlled by a SP switch above the counter top. The voltage at the switch is 115 AC but there is 12 VAC to the lights. A lamp cord comes out of a hole in the wall and splices to the "fixture". The lamps themselves are spaced 2" OC and they are in a rigid, clear plastic housing.
Two questions: Does anyone know where I can get something similar i.e. 12V strip lights?
Could I step-up the voltage with a transformer mounted on top of the cabinets and use 115V rope lights? I can find those.
Additionally - I can't find the step-down transformer for the existing lights. It may be inaccessible.
Thanks, Don

#6024 12/19/01 10:15 PM
R
Have you tried WAC lighting?
I wouldn't make a bad situation worse by adding to it. You should try to find the transformer first, then take it from there.

#6025 12/19/01 11:07 PM
J
Be careful! Make sure the transformer is a listed class II transformer - I know a lot of the WAC jobs do not carry a listing for "field installations". (You can tell by the reverse R and U together - this indicates that UL recognizes this product but it is to be used as a component of another product). If the wiring behind the walls is zip cord and connected to these lights the transformer has to be a LISTED class II to protect against fire and shock hazard. I have also seen the lighting you have indicated in the 120 volt varity - if it is, your customer may have a problem, and also a hazard. You can check the listing number at www.ul.com to see what the product is listed for.

#6026 12/20/01 11:36 PM
D
donles Offline OP
To both Redsy and Johngeorge,

What is WAC lighting?

I can't believe the transformer would be left inaccessible in the walls. This house is only around 10 yrs. old. It's a very large home costing probably 500K to 1M new and the electrical materials are what you would find in tract homes complete with back-wired spec-grade receptacles. I'm changing every one that I get near. Lots of dead outlets due to it's upstream neighbor with loose connections.

>>I have also seen the lighting you have indicated in the 120 volt varity - if it is, your customer may have a problem, and also a hazard.
It's 12 volt, why would it be a hazard if it were 120 volt?

Don

#6027 12/21/01 08:43 AM
R
donles,
WAC is a lighting manufacturer.
(try WAClighting.com)
Article 411 prohibits lamp cords from being run through or concealed behind walls.
The price of the home doesn't necessarily reflect the level of workmanship, particularly if it is in a development.

Link Copied to Clipboard