ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 345 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
jwhite maybe a better question is why or when should 645 be applied. IMO it never has to be applied unless one chooses too. I design data and telephone switching centers, and I would never freely choose to apply 645.

[This message has been edited by dereckbc (edited 12-23-2005).]

E
e57 Offline
SF Fire Marshals seem to like 645, EPO's on UPS batteries have become a pet peev. I guess they had a UPS fire a while back with no method of shut off.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
R
Ron Offline OP
If the leniencies in 645 are not being used, I'd be interested to find out what code the SF fire marshal's are using to require an EPO. Maybe it is a local amendment.

Ron
E
e57 Offline
For them, I think they just want a visably marked means of shut off of the load. As they show up to a fire, (assuming here, there a few fire-fighters here who could elaborate) one of the first things they do is shut off power in the building, or portions of it. But all of the things on the UPS stay energized... Last set up was a 30kw 208v APC UPS, and lighting inverter (forget what that one was) but also 208v. Fire inspection went like this, "smoke detector, batteries - how do I shut off every electrical source in this room?" Thier sign off holds up occupancy... For a simple class 2 circuit, not worth it. Like I said, fire marshal, not electrical inspector. And, from what I understand, they had a fire in a room and could not shut off power after the batteries, and this is a result of a big pow-wow about it.

(Side note: they often want horn/stobes moved for reasons like this... "If I were sitting at this desk, I would only be able to see half of that strobe." Like the 110 db horn, and the rest of the building in disco lighting is not a clue to lean back a little, and realize the fire alarm in going off. - And, "I realize that is an exit path, but feel that way is a better way out, you'll need to change the arrows to that direction." Special order arrow specific signs, and change all the escape route signage. If they have to come back, they'll start changing more stuff. Or find yourself there predawn with a lumen meter. Its best to get them out of your hair quick.)

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard