ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/22/24 10:36 AM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 211 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#6020 12/23/01 07:04 PM
D
Just to throw another fly into the ointment, most if not all mounting methods for EGC terminal bars use a set of self-tapping screws that tap into pre-punched holes in the panelboard cabinet back. So are some here saying that this technically isn't NEC compliant?

The difference between self-drilling, self-tapping, and plain ol' sheet metal screws seem pretty clear, in both definition and the graphics above. There are numerous places where the Code seems to expect us to use logical reasoning beyond the written portion of the Code

Dallas

[This message has been edited by Dallas (edited 12-23-2001).]

#6021 12/23/01 09:23 PM
R
electure,
I was speaking in reference to my earlier post that said "if I was an inspector...".
As far as the interpretation, I am looking at the words in the code as well as the comments in the ROP and ROC. The CMP has "screwed up" here. The words used say we can only use listed means and therefore standard screws are a violation. This section needs a revision to make it enforceable. The sheet metal wording was never needed in 250.8 as sheet metal screws are not a listed means of connection. I will be submitting a proposal for the 05 code.
Don(resqcapt19)

Don(resqcapt19)
#6022 12/24/01 08:03 AM
Agreed, Don.
The Code should have been written in a more positive manner, rather than excluding anything as generic as a sheet metal screw. Any screw that is screwed into sheet metal could be construed as a sheet metal screw.

I think, though that if an inspector called me on having a good, solid machine screw used as a ground, and wouldn't let me off with 90.4, I would be inclined to whip out my box of crummy Ground Clips, show him the little UL stamp on each one, and exclaim "How do you like me now?" I think this would make an inferior connection as opposed to the first one.
I see on a daily basis Tek screws, toggle bolts, plastic anchors, drywall screws, and the like with ground wires shoved under them. I think the Code's intent is to provide a solid termination that won't come loose, and is used solely for the purpose of grounding.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard