ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 255 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#59914 12/18/05 09:22 PM
C
here's a good one that has me stumped, about the above. bought a brand new fixture a couple of months ago,the rapid start type belive it's 20 watt ,two bulb. the problem is sometimes it comes on by itself sometimes not.i have changed ballasts, grounded it properly,& it still takes a notion not to work it doesn't.both ends of each bulb glow but want seem to start.but as soon as i touch the fixture it comes on.the bulbs are as close to the frame as possible.i had those $8 shoplights to work with only two wires before i got my shop wired. they never give a bit of a problem.even the ballast maker couldn't answer my problem.they even sent free replacements.but sometimes ya flip the switch & it comes right on.so i wonder what the problem coud be?

Try changing the bulbs. Since the big environmental crusade, F-lamps contain a lot less mercury than before. (The mercury vaporizes and aids in starting.)

And avoid the ones with green end caps, they're the worst!!

Even with name brands, defective bulbs seem common these days.

Stupid should be painful.
H
Agreed. I have solved this same problem by using another manufacturer's lamps. U tube fixtures are notorious for this. I have had good luck with GE bad luck with Phillips. Also, as said try to stay away from the energy saving reduced wattage low mercury ones. The full wattage energy hogs usually work best. Maybe the energy saving lamps save energy because they don't work half the time. [Linked Image]

-Hal

L
Change to T8 lamps with an electronic ballast, your problem will be solved.

D
+1 for the T-8....

Dnk....

Cat Servant
Just for grins & giggles, look closely at the wiring diagram on the ballast. It sometimes matters which bulb (or bulb end) gets fed first.

C
THANKS GUYS! i'll check on the bulbs.my parents are about to drive me nuts abot this. especially my mom!LOL!why would touching the fixture cause the to come on though?i'm lost on that one. but it seems to work every time.

J
when you touch the bulb you get the little molicules of phospores (sowwy spelling) excited.

E
Circuitman,
Do you have to wait for a while then touch the fixture for it to come on?

Could there be a loose connection or a bad/corroded connection in the line somewhere that you do not get the full supply voltage when you turn the switch on?

Thanks
Edward
C
hi ed, no paticular time involved. was down there tonight & it came right on twice. the third time it didn't. touched it ,then it came on. sometimes you would turn it off & it would come right on.i know flourescent lamps are tempature senstive.but this doesn't seem to be the case.all connections are ok too. i may try some different bulbs.then i may attach a wire to the fixture so they can touch it.LOL!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard