ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 546 guests, and 27 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#59477 12/08/05 06:05 PM
S
Lamp, I didn't think you were a H-I. If I did I would have said so. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

You have to admit, the line:
"make sure it meets the code standards."
...could be taken more than one way.

Like I said, it's home inspectors I have a problem with, not real electricians or tradesman doing inspections of the systems they know in depth.

Speedy Petey

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." -Albert Einstein
#59478 12/08/05 06:27 PM
L
Speedy,
Sorry for the misunderstanding. When I first read your post, it seemed like you were lumping me in with a bunch of incompetant H-I's and knowing how you feel about them, I felt a little insulted.
My mistake.
I know of a few home inspectors that make a very tidy living without being fluent in any construction related field and I have to admit, it bothers me too.
That being said, I didn't mean to jump down your throat if that's how I came off.
Can we still be friends? [Linked Image]

#59479 12/08/05 07:20 PM
IMO you should get a home inspection done by a reputable company as well as using an electrician of your choosing. I once went on a a-c installation and found the service wire coming into the service disconnect undersized and a potential hazard. Since you have to fix or replace whatever the home inspector might miss, (after closing on the house) you would be served by an inspection by people that could catch something and as someone else said, use as a way to lower, or have them make the repairs.

#59480 12/08/05 10:47 PM
G
I think electricians and other trades confuse home inspectors and code inspectors. The home inspector is only pointing out things that will piss you off later. Safety as related to codes, is really not in their job description or training.
In Florida anyone with a county occupational license can be a home inspector. Contractors and code inspectors are state licensed (tests, experience requirements, CEUs and state oversight).
Different thing

Greg Fretwell
#59481 12/09/05 03:38 PM
L
LK Offline
gfretwell, good point In some states Home Inspectors require little of no training, In my state inspectors are state licensed, and test for Lic., there are also experience requirements, they have CEU's to re-license and consumer affairs does the state oversight, so all home inspectors are not the same, The problem with having an EC come in to do an inspection, is he has an intrest in finding work, not a good thing for the consumer.

#59482 12/10/05 02:17 AM
S
Where I live (BC, Canada), we as electrical contractors are not allowed to perform electrical inspections. The only one who can do an official electrical inspection is the electrical inspector himself. I will however, do an "evaluation" of the wiring. But as LK states, as a contractor my interest is finding work, so that could be considered a conflict of interest.

On a heritage home we recently re-wired, the home inspector missed many things that could have resulted in the new owner to back out of the sale, had he caught them and put them on paper. For instance, only 1 out of 3 elements on the electric furnace worked (other 2 had burnt off wires), and only 10% of the breakers for lighting and receptacles were sized properly....the rest were 30 amps.

A home inspector here makes approx. $300 to $400 for an inspection that takes about 4 to 5 hours to complete. That is a pretty good hourly rate, and for that kind of money I would expect more thorough training of the inspector as well as a more thorough inspection. In my opinion, catching a few ungrounded or reversed-polarity receptacles just doesn't cut it.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard