ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
UL 508A SPACING
by ale348 - 03/29/24 01:09 AM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 369 guests, and 18 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#59439 12/05/05 06:04 PM
S
Sixer Offline OP
Lately I've been running across more and more work that, in my opinion, should be done by other trades.

For instance....who's responsibility is it to install ducting for exhaust fans? I usually let the heating contractor do it, simply because I don't have the tools to do it properly....my option would be to run the cheap white spiral plastic dryer ducting for fans, which isn't the best choice.

Another example is cutting out for receptacles and switches in kitchen islands. My tools are not good quality woodworking tools-- they are for rough-cutting only, and I don't like taking the chance of splintering the wood on $30,000 cabinetry.

I would like to hear what the rest of you contractors out there do, and where you draw the line.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
#59440 12/05/05 06:48 PM
L
LK Offline
Sixer,
I guess that depends on how you want to operate your business, But if we told someone they would have to someone else to do part of our work we would probley not have much work offered to us, for years we have tried to hold on to our work, when i started out in this trade we had to do the wood work, the duct connections for small vents and fans, and a lot of other related tasks, today there seems to be a trend to do as little as possible, As the years go by , i hear more and more it's not my job, or i don't do that, cutouts were always our job, and yes at one time we actually had to take instruction in wood crafts, now your lucky to get trained in all the electrical areas.

#59441 12/05/05 06:54 PM
I
I think much depends on the type of job we are talking about.

If I was adding a few outlets in someones home I can't see telling the customer they need a Carpenter to come in and cut the openings.

However when I work a new or extensive remodel job that already has the other trades working there I do as little 'non-electric' work as possible.

At the same time I do not expect the tin knockers to wire their fans or the carpenters screw my boxes to the studs.

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
#59442 12/05/05 07:43 PM
R
I think it also has to do with a particular areas permitting.

If Mechanical ducts are inspected by the Mech inspector it is the responsibility of the Mech contractor.

I gave up cutting cabinetry years ago, the risk of damaging a high dollar piece of mill work is just to great. We work with this contractor by supplying templates or what have you, but they do the cutting.

On the other hand, I agree with Iwire on working on a retrofit and I wouldn't let a piece of dead wood (say for a ceiling fan for example), stop progress waiting for a carpenter on a new project.

Roger

[This message has been edited by Roger (edited 12-05-2005).]

#59443 12/05/05 08:09 PM
L
LK Offline
Bob,

One of the intresting things i notice, there is an increasing number of EC's doing GC type work, where they take on the complete remodel contract, then sub out other crafts.

#59444 12/05/05 08:49 PM
N
How about fireplaces, it seems that more and more gc's are installing such instead of the fire place contractors. It has also now become a thing that the units be controlled by a wireless remote. What happen to the days of providiing a 15amp circuit to the unit and a single gang near the foireplace with a peice of lv cable to the connection point fire place contractor took it from there. Not anymore had to do one today, then was askesd to fire it up, aint no way in hell im firing up that gas line with out the plumbers being there. To many gc's / homeowners want to much these days!!!!!!!!!

#59445 12/05/05 08:54 PM
E
e57 Offline
I'm just sick of cab guys cutting my opening poorly.... "Move over digiot, I'll do that!" Kidding, depending on when and where, and cost/risk analisis, I sometimes cut cabs, but usually I just lay them out to be cut. I'm pretty particular about the hole I set my stuff in, (for support and fit) and if the cab guy doesnt care enought to cut the hole to my liking, I'll cut it.

Ducts no way, I turned a remote fan into a jet sounding whine, and had a bath fan fail inspection.... I know nothing about ducts. And don't want to know either.... Here's the number of a few people who do ducts... [Linked Image]

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#59446 12/06/05 01:55 AM
S
Sixer Offline OP
I guess I should have clarified things a bit more. I was talking about new homes in general.....not retrofits. I'm thinking that if the heating contractor is there putting in ductwork anyways, doesn't it make sense for him to install the ductwork for the exhaust fans?

Same with cabinetry - the cabinet installers are there, they have the proper tools, why not get them to cut out for the electrical boxes?

Once again, I'm talking about new homes here - my intent is not to pass work off to other trades un-necessarily. Of course I will install some ducting for a bathroom or a range hood, and cut out for receptacles, ceiling boxes, recessed lights etc. in a retrofit. But new homes are different - all the trades are there.

My expertise, such as it is, is for electrical. I don't know, nor do I want or need to know air flow calculations, static pressure, etc.

Sixer

"Will it be cheaper if I drill the holes for you?"
#59447 12/06/05 03:10 AM
E
e57 Offline
Write it out of the next one...

The accronym NIC come to mind.... [Linked Image] Or exclusion? Not included?

Not trying to sound like a wise guy, but when its spelled out like that, they get the hint.

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
#59448 12/06/05 07:14 AM
R
Sixer, I agree with you and think you should follow E57's advice. I am very specific in what's included and what is not included in these types of contracts.

Roger

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard