ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Safety at heights?
by gfretwell - 04/23/24 03:03 PM
Old low volt E10 sockets - supplier or alternative
by gfretwell - 04/21/24 11:20 AM
Do we need grounding?
by gfretwell - 04/06/24 08:32 PM
UL 508A SPACING
by tortuga - 03/30/24 07:39 PM
Increasing demand factors in residential
by tortuga - 03/28/24 05:57 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 506 guests, and 19 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#59410 12/05/05 05:43 PM
G
I know a guy who was actually successful inventing a couple things and making money. He says you really have to arrange your own manufacturing and distribution if you want to make money. The guy who invents stuff seldom sees a dime if he trusts a manufaturer not to knock him off or a distributor not to rip him off.

You will probably get knocked off anyway and if you don't have pretty deep pockets for lawyers the other guy will get away with it.
At least that was his experience.
The secret is to actually get a marketable product in the field, with a reasonable cost of product and a reliable supply chain before the copycats can get a foothold.

Greg Fretwell
#59411 12/06/05 02:10 PM
L
Gfretwell makes an excellant point.
Having a patent will not insure you against someone else taking the idea from you.
All it does is give you a vehicle for litigation.
Whoever has the deepest pockets will usually win.
One of the tricks I know of is to keep your patent pending. The minute your patent is actually issued, it becomes public knowledge and anyone can change one little part of it and claim it as there own. two ways to avoid this are to word it so well that it covers every possible angle and to keep it pending.
While pending, you application is not public record so no one can actually tell how much is covered by the language in it.
Only a fool would try to modify the idea and manufacture it without license to do so if they don't even know what is covered by the patent.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard