ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
1 members (Scott35), 268 guests, and 16 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Trumpy Offline OP
Guys,
I was saying to Electure the other day that I was going to send him some pics of the various Xmas lights over here.
I spent half the night out here and took a HEAP of pictures with my current camera (A cheap one that I bought a couple of years back)
I got home and plugged the USB cable in and only 4 of the 56 pics I took were usuable, most were either out of focus or too dark to see.
I've had enough of this happening, sure the camera at the time cost me NZ$120 and you get what you pay for.
But that won't be happening again.
I want a camera that has a decent LCD display on the back of it.
This thing I have here at the moment is too "hit and miss", normally miss, most of the time.
I want to lay some good money down on a good quality camera, can anyone tell me what they use?.
Cheers guys,
Mike. [Linked Image]

[This message has been edited by Trumpy (edited 12-03-2005).]

T
I've got a Canon A95 that I've been pretty happy with..
5 megapixel, has a swivel LCD (can face back, up, down, front, etc..)
uses compactflash media, and AA batteries (no dead rechargable packs)

R
I just checked consumers reports, on line last week for cameras.
To my suprise a relativly inexpensive ($180.00)
Cannon (A510) was the second highest rated model.
It was only 3.2 mega pixel but still rated high in picture quality.

I just checked the site and now it's ranked 3rd at $170.00, probably was all along and I didn't remember right.
#1 Fujifilm FinePix F10 $330.00
#2 Olympus Stylus 800 $390.00
You can't beat having a membership at Consumer Reports.

[This message has been edited by russ m (edited 12-03-2005).]

[This message has been edited by russ m (edited 12-03-2005).]

I've got a Casio QV-R51 I bought last year. About US $540 in England at the moment for the R52 model on special offer. Very nice, and reassuringly expensive.

Alan

Wood work but can't!
I
Mike regardless of the Camera you choose IMO you will not be able to take good nighttime pictures without a tripod and using the cameras self timer.

In order to get enough light into the sensor the shutter speed must be slow so the camera must stay very still in order to get a clear image.

Bob

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts
L
LK Offline
Intresting Bob, I have a Nikon 2100, and my son in law has a $29 digital he picked up at a computer show, as it turns out his Pic's look better then any i have ever taken, so i think your right, it's the set-up and how you take the picture.

I am still learning how to use the dang thing, thank's for the tips.

M
Trumpy, I bought myself an Olympus d-545 and it takes real sweet pictures. One important feature that I didn't think about is missing however. It could use an additional viewfinder besides the lcd display, because in some lighting conditions, that view on the display is hard to see clearly. Try not to make my mistake.

S
The key to taking good night pictures is a camera with a good manual mode that lets you set whatever f-stop and iris you want. Well, that, and a tripod! Most cheap digital cameras just have an auto mode. Once I learned how to use the manual settings on my Canon S30, my night shots have turned out WAY better [Linked Image] I do like the canon powershots, they're terrific cameras.

It's amazing what you can pick up over a 15 second exposure, makes night look as bright as midday! I use the self-timer for these like iwire does- a 2 second delay damps out the movement from pushing the shutter button and gives less motion blur.

[This message has been edited by SteveFehr (edited 12-03-2005).]

A
We have a Sony a few years old that takes great night no flash pictures. I think it is a CD 400. It writes to mini CD instead of memery cards which were pricy at the time. It has it's limits like most for tring to get bigger things in the picture like rooms or buildings. It just dose not seem to be able to capture the project pictures on one shot. It is also more bulky like the film 35mm one of the past.

I think I need a wide angle camera. Or at least a lens. Some cameras like mine are hard to find different lenses. I think you can use addaptors if you know what you need.

Anyone know of a more slime digital that does a wide angle?

Tom

B

A friend recommended the Panasonic FZ20-series with gyro stabilization that I really like. [~USD425] http://panasonic.co.jp/pavc/global/lumix/fz20/index.html Like many I guess, it allows viewing of the SD-rom contents through USB as a drive, to copy/erase images at will. Full editing software is included, but I prefer to crop/balance with the IrfanView utility [www.IrfanView.com] and print out of MSWord.

[This message has been edited by Bjarney (edited 12-04-2005).]

Link Copied to Clipboard