ECN Electrical Forum - Discussion Forums for Electricians, Inspectors and Related Professionals
ECN Shout Chat
ShoutChat
Recent Posts
Increasing demand factors in residential
by gfretwell - 03/28/24 12:43 AM
Portable generator question
by Steve Miller - 03/19/24 08:50 PM
Do we need grounding?
by NORCAL - 03/19/24 05:11 PM
240V only in a home and NEC?
by dsk - 03/19/24 06:33 AM
Cordless Tools: The Obvious Question
by renosteinke - 03/14/24 08:05 PM
New in the Gallery:
This is a new one
This is a new one
by timmp, September 24
Few pics I found
Few pics I found
by timmp, August 15
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 260 guests, and 20 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
E
Edward Offline OP
Will a surge suppressor protect computers against a loose neutral on a three wire system ?

my guess is it will not. But i like to hear you as well.

Thanks
Edward

Thanks
Edward
Y
I don't think so. I wouldn't bet my computer on it, anyway.

J
It would probably offer you some protection but it wouldn't be doing quite what it was designed to do. If the leg you were on made excursions close to 240VAC because of a heavily loaded opposite leg, the MOV H-N in the suppressor might start clamping the sine wave. The MOVs would be dissipating energy for repetitve mS instead of infrequent uS or nS, as they are designed for. It would be a race between the MOV to blow or the overcurrent protection to trip. If the the MOVs clamp higher than 240VRMS, the suppressor would be of no use.
Joe

E
e57 Offline
I can tell you.... NO PROTECTION WHAT SO EVER!

Surge strip fine, computer power supply TOAST!

See this thread.... https://www.electrical-contractor.net/ubb/Forum1/HTML/006595.html

Mark Heller
"Well - I oughta....." -Jackie Gleason
G
If your computer power supply is a wide range input type, typically 90 to 240 volts, then it should survive. Most recent ones here in europe are this type, especially as they now must have power factor correction built in.

Cat Servant
Funny, my experience says "yes." I once made a poor neutral connection, and during the night fried a stereo power supply, a couple ballasts, two UPS units, and several surge suppressors; the computers that had the power strips before the UPS (or computer) came through undamaged.

J
e57: I can tell you.... NO PROTECTION WHAT SO EVER!

renosteinke: Funny, my experience says "yes."

Well, I can certainly see how you both could be right, depending on the selection of MOVs or TVSs(Transorbs) inside your surge suppressors.

Joe

S
I once broke the nuetral feeding a strip type surge suppressor...POW!!! It sounded like someone fired a pistol. The suppressor blew up, but the computer that was plugged into it was fine. Go figure.

Rob

G
Many years ago one of the computer trade rags did a story on this. Thier conclusion was a good strip would protect you if the on strip O/C device opened up with the MOV overload.
A lot still depends on the threshold and current capability of the MOV.

Greg Fretwell

Link Copied to Clipboard